Thread: Gerstner Tool Chest Bases - Model B-20 and B-26

Gerstner Tool Chest Bases - Model B-20 and B-26

Gerstner made a base for chests up to 20" in width. It comes with a single locked drawer and two dividers. The early ones were made out of plywood and were painted brown with a lacquer coat over the paint. According to Scott Campbell:

The bases were started in the mid to late 50ís and they were only available in the brown lacquered finish. In the early 60ís we added oak and walnut finishes, but we still had the brown lacquered finish available, which I think was stopped in the mid to late 70ís.

B20&26.JPGB-26 Base.JPGsupporting base.JPG

Restored B-20

Here is a B-20 I just restored. It lived its life as the base for an O42.

IMG_3461.jpgIMG_3460.jpgIMG_3459.jpg

Nice base but why paint?
    Ken Lewellyn

I painted it because that's the way it came from the factory. It ended up with several coats of brown paint, poorly applied. I stripped it down to bare wood, but it was just plywood, not suitable for staining and varnishing. It would have looked tacky. The old brochures show this was an option until they started making them from hardwood. If this model had been oak or another quality wood, I would have finished it. I checked with Scott before I proceeded.

I did the same thing on the bottom of some of the models of chests I have redone in the past for the same reason. That's the way they came from the factory.

I didn't realize they had ever painted anything. I'm so used to seeing their beautiful QS oak, I assumed it had always been that or leatherette....
    Ken Lewellyn

I just found one in good condition in Oak
    Drawer.jpgDrawer inside.jpg