Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How did you get your Gerstner?

Funny, but every time I say I'm going to hold off and not purchase another Gerstner for a while....one pops up in the middle of nowhere and they can come from so many different places. The ones that bring me a lot of satisfaction are the Gerstner chests I find a few miles all around me. Michigan really does have a ton of these within its borders and since I'm retired I have the time and luck to find them...but Terry is correct in saying "you just never know when you are going to run into a Gerstner." As time goes by one of the biggest pleasures I have is giving some of them away to family or friends....the rest pay.

My first Gerstner was a gift from John Hartman in 1971 while working at Hartman Engineering, he also purchased a set of Brown & Sharpe "slant line" micrometers and let me borrow his mike drawer to copy his felt layout.
    That chest has been in daily use since
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just got mine and older 042. I bought mine from Terry (user 459) Rushbrook.

Great chest, very happy with it. I don't think it will be my last one.

Thanks Terry!

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    Just got mine and older 042. I bought mine from Terry (user 459) Rushbrook.

Great chest, very happy with it. I don't think it will be my last one.

Thanks Terry!

Time to load it up with that knife collection! Nice.

I just stumbled across the site today. Thanks for all the great info and ideas. My Gerstner came from my dad who passed away in 1986. I took it when we were cleaning out his work shop. I am guessing he bought it in the late 40s. I'll have to check for marking to check the age. He came to this country in 1922 at the age of 15, and couldn't speak a word of English. He started digging ditches the old fashioned way, with a shovel, and worked himself up to the position of maintenance director for a 2,000 square foot factory. The tool chest has some great sentimental value. It has been sitting on a shelf waiting to be restored. This site has inspired me to get busy. Since I have no sons I will probably pass it on to my nephew, my dad's only grandson.