Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you get your Gerstner?

How did you get your Gerstner?

Wow! My grandfather bought his in 1946 for around $30. It was the first thing he bought when he got out of the army. It was bought from a little hardware store in Middle Village NY. He gave it to my dad in 1986 when we moved to AZ and my dad gave it to me for Christmas 2012. I always thought it was just a really nice wood toolbox. Until I did some research and learned about how beyond awesome this is. I cant wait to one day pass it to my son.
    How about you?

No cool stories here. I just buy 'em and restore. Your situation is cool - 4 generations = very cool!
    Ken Lewellyn

I am starting my tradition. I have purchased a Model 92 for each of my three sons to use and treasure some day! I currently have purchased over (20) different boxes, chests etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco Box View Post
    I am starting my tradition. I have purchased a Model 92 for each of my three sons to use and treasure some day! I currently have purchased over (20) different boxes, chests etc.
    Where in the world do you keep 20 boxes???
    Ken Lewellyn

I have a spare bedroom that is my "Gerstner Shrine"!

We all want to see some pictures of that room!

-JJ

@Wisco Box

I agree, I would enjoy seeing some pictures of your collection.

Ditto about the room pix.

I found mine on Craigslist for $200. It was filthy and the felt was mangled. The top looked like someone had put swirls of dirty oil like a series of cursive "e's" along the length of it, which had penetrated the wood. Looked malicious, really. The hardware was rusty. But it was all there and had potential.

Sanded down and bleached the wood with a bristle brush and Clorox, which got the oil stains out; sealed it, and stained it with golden oak stain. Put a few coats of amber shellac on as a topcoat. Put the hardware in a vibrating cleaner with rust cutting media (the little green pyramids) and it all came out just like new. Heated a pot of hide glue, painted it on, and refelted it. The box looks like it just left the factory. I keep my luthier's tools in it.

Haven't been able to identify it. The size of a 52, but with the manual drawer on the left and three drawers on the right which, stacked one on top of the other, are the same width and height together as the single manual drawer. Three drawers in between, and two full width below. Nine drawers total.
    Last edited by Cdz12250; 06-02-2013 at 11:56 PM.

@Cdz12250: How about some pics?
    Ken Lewellyn

Bought a 3 piece set at this year's Gerstner warehouse sale. Do not know the model though
    I'm growing older but I refuse to grow up!

I'm amazed how many "beat up" boxes are on E-bay. Some look like they are super abused!

Ken Lewellyn

Good example!

I bought mine in pieces from AG Russell and just got done assembling it. It is now holding my Great Eastern Cutlery collection (and a few other select knives), sitting atop my International set. I love my chest in a box!

The Wife and I are pretty frugal, so I took the long road. I saved pop cans, sold concessions at work, and modded electrical hobby stuff to sell on ebay for 2 years to buy my 3 piece set. I should have just dropped the cash, but had to go that way about it. If she wasn't getting the new car she wanted, I was nickle and dime-ing my way to the tool box. I got the box, wife still driving same car, and money stayed in the bank.