Thread: new member with new-to-me inherited my grandfather's Gerstner

new member with new-to-me inherited my grandfather's Gerstner

Hi everyone:

Newbie member here with a new-to-me Gerstner that was my grandfather's while he worked at Kodak back in the 1940's-60's as a product development/ inventor there. This box was his, and when he retired he brought it home and shoved it in the attic where it stayed mostly untouched (there was one receipt from 1979 inside with some scroll saw blades). he passed away in 1984, and it sat untouched until 2011 when my dad cleaned out their house after my grandma had passed. Then it sat in his basement for 9 years until I could come home and bring it back with me. And now I'm digging through it to see all the cool history inside. There are many machinist type tools- end mill bits, reamers, etc, measuring tools, as well as bearings and drills, allen wrenches, and some specialized tools that I know nothing about. Then there's a bunch of pin up images which some may find offensive in today's society, but this is how it was, and there are some family pics in there, too. There's even an Indy 500 ticket from 1949 from when he attended. It's an amazing piece of untouched history and now I have it.

I have no knowledge about the box itself, but I'm guessing it's from the 1940's? I'd appreciate any input on this, and I may do the Gerstner service of identifying the box. I do not have any plans to restore this box, nor use it on a daily basis. I may use some of the end mill bits and such as I have a smaller mill and lathe I use for my hobbies.

Thought I'd share a few pics here and I hope you enjoy it.

-Brendon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brendon,

I enjoyed seeing your tool chest and reading the story behind it. In order to determine the exact style and approximate age, we will need precise measurements of its dimensions.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...-gerstner-info

It looks very salvageable and restorable. We are here to help.
    Terry Rushbrook, Melbourne, FL and Broad Brook, CT.

www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Brendon,

Great story and as Terry says, it is a nice chest and well worth cleaning up. You say your grandpa worked at Kodak as an inventor. Did he work in the Hawkeye building in Rochester?
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCote View Post
    Brendon,

Great story and as Terry says, it is a nice chest and well worth cleaning up. You say your grandpa worked at Kodak as an inventor. Did he work in the Hawkeye building in Rochester?

Thank you, sadly I don't know this info, and he passed away when I was 9, so I didn't get the chance to learn much about his career there. I'm not even sure how to go about researching this, ha ha. I'd like to know more, but I'm not even sure where to start. On google there are several patents with his name on it, link below if you're curious about what he did there: https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Witkowski+Victor

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Brendon,

I enjoyed seeing your tool chest and reading the story behind it. In order to determine the exact style and approximate age, we will need precise measurements of its dimensions.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...-gerstner-info

It looks very salvageable and restorable. We are here to help.
    Thank you, I appreciate this. Yeah, the box itself is in decent working order. no broken drawers, or noticable cracks or rotting of wood. It's mostly the exterior that would need a refresh. As for dimensions:

OAW- 20 ⅛"
    OAD- 8 ⅜"
    OAH 12 9/16"

Nothing on that page appears to match the dimensions, but it seems to be closer to the one for 1919, perhaps this is it? https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...-style-s-30-31

style 41B. But the lock illustrated is different than the one on mine. Thoughts?

Here's a few more pics of some of the goodies inside the box. I have no idea what the photo was, most likely something he worked on while at Kodak.

And a close up shot of whatever that machine was, and a few more shots of things inside the box. Things like these- that triangle and circle scale, were used before the days of computers, ha ha

more pics of some of the goodies inside the drawers

more pics of some of the tool box drawers. I have no idea what was written on the back of the one box. My first guess might be different project numbers. Yes, you're looking inside another man's drawers, ha ha ha

a few more pics of the drawers...

and a few more pics of the drawers, and what was inside of them.

I would hazard a guess that yours is a leatherette covered Style 41B. The measurements may not be exact, but close enough. It seems to be from the period between 1940 and 1942, judging by the criteria in Ted's chart.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...style-10-11-12

The front panel pull, foil label, and restraint chin are features that lead me to that conclusion.
    Terry Rushbrook, Melbourne, FL and Broad Brook, CT.

www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that yours is a leatherette covered Style 41B. The measurements may not be exact, but close enough. It seems to be from the period between 1940 and 1942, judging by the criteria in Ted's chart.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...style-10-11-12

The front panel pull, foil label, and restraint chin are features that lead me to that conclusion.

This is great, thank you so much!!