Thread: National Tool and Chest Toolbox restoration quote

National Tool and Chest Toolbox restoration quote

I've had this toolbox in my attic for twenty years, got it from my dad before I moved to California. He passed a few years back and I wanted to get it restored. Anyone here interested in giving me a quote? It's not super old, 8 drawers with some rail damage (pictured) to the larger drawers. Missing felt and its kinda dirty. Outer casing is metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The meatal clad tool case you picture is not particularly desirable, nor is it something I would be interested in restoring. I am not a big fan of National Tool and Chest's designs or construction methods. They are crudely made and have obvious design flaws.

That being said, I can appreciate the sentimental attachment to it. I still have hand tools from my father and my grandfather that I cherish. I have restored some of the wooden chests, but doubt I would do it again. Here is a link to some of me efforts: https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/starchests

Does yours have metal drawer runners inside the body of the case? The damage you show is typical of the tendency for the metal runners to act like gouges due to their sharp edges. They wallow out the grooves i the drawer sides like a chisel would. I have had to mill new drawer sides to replace them in the past. Not a pleasant task! I also had to deal with the sharp drawer guides. https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/starchests/182

Sorry I can't help you and hope I didn't dissuade you from your quest.

Good luck,
    Terry Rushbrook, Melbourne, FL and Broad Brook, CT.

www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Terry,
    Yes, it has metal runners which caused the damage to the larger drawers. I know it's no longer your thing to repair star chests, I had already seen all of your pictures before I posted my thread. If no one is interested than I give it a shot the best that I can. When my parents decided to pack up and move to Cape Coral they told all of us kids to take whatever we wanted. That was the only thing that I wanted and the family movies of course. I'm a video producer and I thought I would be a great reminder of my dad. Im gonna put my nice video gear in there when its done. You do very nice work by the way. Stay safe down there.

Actually, I'm up in Broad Brook, Connecticut, for the summer. Where are you?

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Terry,
    Im in San Jose, CA

Dave

I went to high school and junior college in San Jose! Willow Glen area. 1963 to 1971, with a brief intermission 1966-1969 in the US Army. Graduated HIGH school in 1965.

www.terrystoolboxes.com