Thread: New Member, Old Chest

New Member, Old Chest

This is to introduce myself and my ‘new’ Gerstner chest. I’m a long-retired University Estate Manager living in Staffordshire, UK.

During too much YouTube viewing I happened across a Gerstner Chest being factory refurbished and was immediately struck by the quality, craftsmanship and history of Gerstner; I wanted to own my own piece of your history!

A quick search on eBay revealed some very fine examples in the USA at very fine prices but also a rather sad-looking one; a best offer was accepted and 3 weeks to the day later what I take to be m
    10.jpgy O41C has arrived. Dimensions are 20” wide by 12 ½” tall by 9 ½” deep. On the inside base of the case is “Built by H Gerstner & Sons, Dayton Ohio” (arched top & bottom lines) and the Lot Code F 384. There’s an oval label outline on the bottom drawer front and lid restraint hinges to the top. The lock is A50M46. From 'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests that seems to place it 1943-1948 – which would pre-date me!

01.jpg03.jpg04.jpg08.jpg

I’d love to give it back some pride – there’s lots to do, mostly on the outside of the carcase – but there’s such a depth of knowledge and advice on the Forum, how can I go wrong!
    ? I’m not a woodworker but can read (and follow) instructions and consider myself a reasonable DIY’er! I find there's a picture limit of 5 per post so I hope you get some idea of its state.

Can anyone confirm or advise me a) is this an O41C b) is my 1943-48 era plausible c) how best to remove the runs of what I would call (rock-hard) pitch on the top and right-hand side before I think about re-finishing d) any other specific problems to look out for.

I’ll now apply to join the ‘Club’ and look forward to be a member of a unique group.

Welcome, Andrew! I’m a newcomer and tyro woodworker myself, so don't have much to offer in terms of advice. Did want to extend the welcome though!

Welcome to the obsession, Andrew.

Thank you Onomea and Terry; I'm glad to be here and will be reporting on progress shortly. Even stripped down its looking better than when it arrived!

Terry, do you still have supplies of your dome head rivets available for purchase?