Thread: Mahogany stain?

Mahogany stain?

I recently purchase an M52 mahogany chest. Was a stain used on the box? If so what was it. It almost cleans up nicely with 0000 steel wool and wax. Any help is greatly appreciated. Joe

Joe, I am a novice, both with Gerstners and with woodworking. I am currently in the process of refinishing my 52, which I assume is oak. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will answer your question, but, were I you, here is what I would try first:

Buy a can Howard Products Restor-A-Finish in mahogony. $10 off Amazon. Put that on with your 000 steel wool, then wax it up.

Inasmuch as you say you are pretty happy with wax and steel wool alone, I think this product will make you ecstatic. I have used it on old furniture to good effect. One heckuva lot easier than a full up refinish, and, if you are unsatisfied with the result, you’re only out $10 and can start over with a full refinish.

Good luck!

Thanks Onomea. I’ll give it a try

In answer to your question; yes, Gerstner used stain on the mahogany boxes. They did not stain walnut boxes, which I feel was a big mistake. Stain is more than just color, it conditions and evens out the pores of the surface of the wood in preparation for a finish like polyurethane or other varnish.

I can not, will not, and do not advocate the used of the products mentioned above. That's a half-a$$ed way to treat these boxes, in my opinion.

I like to use Minwax stain before applying Minex Clear Satin Polyurethane Spray as outlined in detail on my web site.

Easier is not always better.

Again, just my opinion after restoring over 230 of these boxes...

Terry
    Terry Rushbrook, Melbourne, FL and Broad Brook, CT.

www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Which Minwax Stain for mahogany? Theres so many?

I like to use the Minwax red mahogany stain on Gerstner mahogany boxes.
    Terry Rushbrook, Melbourne, FL and Broad Brook, CT.

www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com

www.terrystoolboxes.com

Thanks Terry