Thread: Gerstner Stencil with Period Dates added

Gerstner Stencil with Period Dates added

The Gerstner Stencil on the inside of the bottom board, has been defined and added to Pg 10b and Pg 10c. There’s a definite difference in the stencils used from 1940 – 1959 and the one used in 1960 & later.
    As a result of this study the Period Dates of 1954 – 1959 for the Rec. w/# nameplate have been changed to 1960 & later. I did not find any justification for the 1954 – 1959 date. It seemed right at the time, but not now.
    Good luck as we continue to refine your source of facts…….Ted
    https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...chinistchests/

Thank you so much, Ted, for that wonderful guide, and for all the knowledge you dispense so freely to us newbies. That’s a massive amount of research you have put together, and that you continue to add to for the benefit of all.

I have recently acquired a model 52. I thought I would detail here how your research and guidance helped me, specifically, date my chest.

First, from your guide:

The first clue I had was the front panel is recessed, which meant 1954 or later:

I next looked to the lower drawer decal for clues, but, no decal:

Ted explained, though, that if I looked carefully I could likely see the residual impression of the lost decal. Caught in the right light, as above, one can.

But, how to tell the difference between the “rounded Rec. No #” and “Rounded Rec. w/#?” The impressions left behind look quite similar.

Ted explained that the “Rec. No #” had three levels below and above, where as the “Rec. w/#” has three levels below but only two levels above. Since mine has three levels below and three levels above, it is a “Rec. No#.:

Last edited by Onomea; 04-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Then the confirmation from the stencil, as explained by Ted in the first post of this thread:

The lettering is arched, top and bottom, but as can be seen most clearly by the bowed “Dayton, Ohio.”

So, thanks to Ted’s research and generous advice, I learned that since my chest has a recessed front panel, a “Rec. No#” decal (residual image), and an arched stencil, my chest was built by Gerstner between 1954 and 1959.

Thanks, Ted! Much appreciated.

Thanks much to you Onomea for your appreciation and this excellent, detailed, report. Nice to see 'The' Guide is working......Ted

Wow thanks with this info I can tell my Gerstner model 042 is from "54-"59
    Gerstner.jpg

You betcha, Landshark. Toolbox Ted sure knows his stuff!

Very nice condition on that 042.