Thread: Seeking historical info on Star chest and National Tool & Chest Co

Seeking historical info on Star chest and National Tool & Chest Co

This is a bit of a cross post. I picked up my first wood machinist chest this week. I've been told it is a Star brand made by National Tool and Chest Co of Chicago, IL. From some pics I've seen I believe that's the case but google searches haven't provided much of any details regarding historical information on Star and/or National Tool and Chest Co. That's what I'm hoping to find here. Any tips, details, links or recommended searches would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering what period my chest would have been sold. If anyone is aware of any online catalogs listing Star chests that would be great and if that included pics all the better.

Thanks!

Here's my new chest.

IMG_0336.jpgIMG_0337.jpg

Hi,
    Here is a link with some more info.
    https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/pg-85/pg-71---star-spec-s
    Based on that it was made sometime between 1946 and 1955.

I am in process of resorting the same chest I got from my dad.
    Star.jpg
    I have not found any old catalogs for Star. On the lid under the felt someone had wrote 5415 and the same number on the inside of the chest. Guess that is the model model but I can find no proof of that.

Good luck and if you find anything more please post it here. I'm trying to get more info on these myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jbwright01 View Post
    Hi,
    Here is a link with some more info.
    https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/pg-85/pg-71---star-spec-s
    Based on that it was made sometime between 1946 and 1955.

I am in process of resorting the same chest I got from my dad.
    Star.jpg
    I have not found any old catalogs for Star. On the lid under the felt someone had wrote 5415 and the same number on the inside of the chest. Guess that is the model model but I can find no proof of that.

Good luck and if you find anything more please post it here. I'm trying to get more info on these myself.
    Thanks! A new thread opened on Garage Journal about a week ago. A subscriber stated "STAR was the brand name supplied by National Tool & Chest Co., Chicago". Said he's never been able to find or see a catalog but believes they were made from about 1940-1955. Here's a link to the Garage Journal thread if you care to post your Star chest in that thread. Good luck with your restoration. It's great that you got it from your dad!!

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=455245

Mike

That's my problem also, can't find any catalogs for STAR. If you do run across something, please let me know......Ted

Ted, I'm fairly confident that was you I was quoting from Garage Journal. :0)

Mike

PS It appears my reply from last night isn't here. Oh well, didn't say much just that you'd said Star was part of National Tool & Chest Co, Chicago. And the approximately years they produced them from 1940-1955.