Thread: 1981 Dental Box model 20,21

1981 Dental Box model 20,21

Hello,

Over the weekend my Dad told me to come over and take a look at his dental chest/boxes that he had since Dental School at the University at Buffalo. He was aware that I was restoring my 41 A model chest and wanted me to check out his dental boxes to be cleaned up. He did not know and I did not know that they were going to be Gerstner & Sons model 20, and 21 dental box’s! After I found them in his attic I knew right away what they were and my father and I were in awe. I immediately starting asking him about his boxes and the history behind them. He and I had a long wonderful conversation. Some of the history that he expressed to me was when he started at the University at Buffalo Dental School in 1981 he was given these two boxes with a name plate on them to use throughout school. He also explained that he used them daily and has his old dental tools in them to this day! I explained Gerstner’s tool boxes to him and he was very interested in everything I had to say. He put out his old year book and in the background on pictures were all his classmates Gerstner boxes I was amazed! Anyways I wanted to ask If anyone’s happened to have any history, information on these model 20 and 21 boxes? I have sent pictures in the attachment. Also would love to know the connection between Gerstner and Sons and the University at Buffalo because I also went there for school.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Matthew LaSorte

Dear Mr Lasorte,

We used to have contracts with almost every major University and Military base. The cases were small portable & wrapped in leatherette presented to students at the beginning of their apprenticeship or training, most students were allowed to keep their cases upon completion of their program. It wasn't until the mid 1980's that OHSA put a stop to the use of wooden dental/hygiene cases. Most of the big Names like University Of Buffalo or Ohio State University kept the dental/hygiene cases as long as they could obviously because of the quality and practicality but OHSA did eventually cause us to stop making the cases entirely. Thousands of these cases and many different models of them were designed for each college or Military base. Renowned for the quality and durability a very good majority of these are still in good condition and still in circulation. The quality of our products most definitely translates into longevity.

Westley I appreciate your insight on the dental chest I have been looking for any history/ information on them. I like to research and gather as much information as I can before I do the restorations on any Gerstner chest I own. I like to be able to express the stories as much as I like to do the restorations. I have put the photos of the chests in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images