Thread: Previous owner: 2nd gen Machinist for the Air-force [video], f

Previous owner: 2nd gen Machinist for the Air-force [video], f

Made a video looking at the O42 box and its content. Loads of inaccurate info since I made the video before I knew much about Gerstner..

https://youtu.be/uCAaHemf6ig

Even though I said I wasn't going to give it a full resto.. I just ordered felt, hinges, whey glue, mirror and key!

If anyone can tell me how old it is it would be greatly appreciated! If I had to guess, acording to previous owner 1970's?

Please do NOT use the wire wheel on the hardware!

Most of the time, the hardware on these chests and cases is dull or oxidized when I get them. The original hardware was nickel-plated steel and subject to developing a brown outer surface which can be easily interpreted as rust. However, it is just the oxidation of the nickel plating. This is not to say that rust does not exist on these pieces. Quite to the contrary, the nickel plating can be worn off and the steel beneath can become rusted and pitted.In order to see what is going on, I remove all the hardware from the box that can be removes and store each lot in a separate zip lock bag. I am not particularly concerned with the screws, since I will be replacing them with new nickel-plated steel screws. I also don’t usually remove the hinges but polish them in place.I have an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner that I use just for the purpose of cleaning hardware. I fill it with Evaporust and allow it to run through several cycles, at least overnight. The Evaporust lifts any grime, oxidation, and rust off the pieces.When ready, I rinse the pieces under hot water while I gently brush the clean with a brass wire brush. I dry them and set them aside on a paper towel to dry completely.Then I don gloves and buff each piece on a motorized buffer with a spiral sewn cloth buffing wheel and red polishing compound. This usually brings back the luster to the nickel plating. Even if the plating is gone and just the steel remains, it allows me to buff the steel to an acceptable luster. After all the pieces have been machine buffed, I polish them further by hand using Simichrome polish and buff them with a microfiber cloth. A final coat of Renaissance wax adds another level of protection.I find this process allows me to keep the original hardware on 99% of the boxes I restore and retains their patina and originality. I find that brand new hardware on an old box just looks wrong. Of course, if the hardware is badly rusted and pitted, substitutes must be made.
    Last edited by user459; 01-08-2020 at 08:18 PM.