Thread: Help I.D. this case

Help I.D. this case

Hi everyone, first post.
    I went from 0 wooden machinist boxes to 2 in as many weeks. The first was a 50s O42 in good shape.
    Second was this guy, an 8 drawer case.

20" wide, 11.5" tall, 8.5" deep. Looks like dovetailed oak. Needs a desperate cleaning, but look at the wood under the sacrificial top!!

I don't see any stamps or markings except numbers on the drawer backs. There is a light spot on the front of the bottom drawer where a tag could have been, but I haven't inspected up close.

All drawers have steel bottoms except the bottom-most full width drawer is all wood. Pulls look like chrome/nickel plated over copper.

I do not have the front cover yet, guy who gave this to me has it but can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like and early O31B from the 5/3 configuration, dimensions and dovetail joinery. Too bad there is no front panel...

I always check Ted's web site first for clues:

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...-pix-age-chart

Thanks Terry, I did look there and narrowed it down to O31b or a Pilliod 35. However I'm new to this. Someone else pointed out to me the horizontal divider between the half and full width drawers, which seems to point to Gerstner. Thank you for the reply.

Edit: there is a good chance I will get the front panel. I was given this case by my brother-in-law's father, and he is a hoarder. He also doesn't live far. I'm optimistic about it.

Dave,

I would definitely pursue the acquisition of the front panel! They are very hard to find and even harder to make. I usually turn down boxes without a front panel.

Happy hunting,

Terry