Thread: Finally got my Gerstner after 31 years

Finally got my Gerstner after 31 years

As a newbie machinist in a tool and die shop, I saw my first Gerstner in the late 80s and knew that one day I had to have one. Last Saturday while traveling from Houston to north central PA, I found a man selling a W62 and a matching base. After a short side trip, I am now the proud new owner of this set. I know they need a deep cleaning, hardware polish, keys and fresh felt. Im excited to get back home and start the cleaning process. Everything functions as designed except the base drawer cover is a bit tight. The two metal drawer inserts are there as well as 4 of the original 5 wooden drawer dividers.
    I have a couple of questions for you veterans, one is the same beat to death question - dating this bugger... from what I have read on here, the Lot number is a clue, it could be a 65, 75 or a 79 year model. (The man I bought it from thought it to be 50yrs. old as it was in the family machine shop since he could remember).
    My second question pertains to the red felt. I have never seen one before, was red a fairly common thing, or possibly a custom order?
    Any and all insight and advice would be greatly appreciated. 20267FED-9232-48E0-8C37-4ECD98671B47.jpgA864AFC2-C835-4E49-A623-FD5ED512CA74.jpg7FFF1153-6292-4603-852D-C8313992BA5C.jpg2EEB19CF-F953-4D39-8BB6-A7BC8CBB3B2D.jpg489B3AAC-E6A5-4387-8261-C2517AB5A5F9.jpg

First I just want to say that you got a beautiful chest. It looks really solid and ready to be a real beauty after a good cleaning. I will give my amateur opinion on a couple of your questions and I will be prepared to be contradicted by those more expert than I. I think your chest is probably from the early to mid '70s. I am not sure you will be able to date it more exactly than that. The red felt seems to have been an option but I would think that it is factory correct and probably more common on a walnut chest like yours.

Please post pictures as you restore this beauty.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

It would be helpful if you could post pictures of the stencil inside the bottom of the chest and base.

https://www.gerstnerforum.com/showth...rawer-Products

I think the last picture in Scott's thread should put the red felt issue to rest.

13-Drawer Products

The Gerstner Style 62 had two vertical drawers for hand book ad drill block storage. Two fluted trays were provided for rollable tools; each holding 20 tools. Three finished wood dividers with bullet catches on each end are easy to fit into the top ten drawers for grouping of medium size tools.

The Style 62 also featured two slots 5/8" x 7-1/2", in the rear of the top till to permit vertical storage of tools up to 9-1/2" long, pads or blueprints.

The dimensions of the chest are:
    Style 62 - 26" wide x 13-3/4" tall x 10-1/2" deep

The Style 62 was produced from 1968 - 1985
    Last edited by user459; 12-09-2019 at 03:58 AM. Reason: add link

Good evening gents,
    I had taken several photos and thought I had originally included the stencil photos, but I see they are not attached... the first is the stencil on the chest and the second is the base stencil.
    Thank you both for the info you have provided. When I first bought this set, I was sure I was going to go back with the standard green felt, but I now after exploring of this forum, I am convinced that I to use the red that appears to be was original. After an great vacation in north central PA, I just returned home last night to the Houston area and looking forward to scrubbing some this beauty to see what she really looks like under all the shmutz!!! All of the joints to be a very tight. There is one minor crack in the wood on the backside thru the hinge screws on one side, as if someone leaned or pushed back on the lid while it was open. The only other thing that superficial, is the 10 random holes drilled through the bottom of the top chest as if to mount it to a bottom box. The base chest does not have any drilled holes in it...

Actually, you had sent me pictures of the stencils in a private message, but I thought they would get more exposure here on the forum.