Thread: Is this a Gerstner??

Is this a Gerstner??

Hi. I bought this box today. I can't tell if it's a Gerstner or not but it looks like a number 41. My guess is that it's a 41 made under contract for another brand. Note the unusual door pulls and ball ends of the top handle. Thanks in advance for any expertise you can lend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like an early Gerstner 41, 1921-1923, to me. I have had several of these. Are the drawer fronts oak or mahogany?

https://sites.google.com/site/theguideforwoodmachinistchests/pg-10---gerstner-info/style-10-11-12

Thanks for the response, Terry. It does look like an early number 41 and the drawers are mahogany. However after doing some research on this site, I have determined that it is a Wedell and Boers chest pre 1920. The nameplate is missing. Would have been above the lock and I can see the nail holes. The mirror is also missing. I suppose I can still restore it without those pieces but would be nice to find them somewhere. Luckily, all other hardware is accounted for, including the original key.

I can see the resemblance to other Wedell & Boers chests I have had. They are well built. Another clue is the distinctive pattern of debossing on the leatherette of the front panel. The material used by W&B for the covering is a little different from Gerstner's also. It seems to be a composite material and is thicker and more brittle than Gerstner leatherette which is vinyl over fabric.

Good luck on your quest for missing parts.

Other clues that point to Wedell & Boers: The corner hardware is riveted on, W&B had a steel rim around the lid, and the clasps had a distinctive square shape.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/otherchests/2008

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-1918-Wedell-Boers-Makers-Machinist-chest-made-in-Detroit/133133957599?hash=item1eff66f9df:g:LHoAAOSwgjddRzl W

Last edited by user459; 09-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Terry, thanks for the info. I checked out your Shutterfly site. You are quite the expert! I may take some time to develop the necessary skills to restore this box correctly. I've done some woodworking but I haven't tried working with vinyl or leatherette. I might get some to practice with. May cover an old crate. I already love this box. It's overbuilt for it's size and while it needs some repair, it could be used as is after 100 years. Thanks again for the info.

Since the Wedell & Boers material is so different from Gerstner's, What I have done in the past is to take material from the bottom of the box to cut patches for the missing material. I use contact cement to glue the patches in place, and then re-cover the bottom with Gerstner leatherette. The difference is not noticeable on the bottom.

I shy away from leatherette rewraps, generally, due to a lack of skill in that area. I even had lessons from Gerstner's restoration expert, Paul Martin, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I patch and refresh as needed.

(See the "Refreshing Leatherette Coverings" documant on my site's Home page)