Thread: Is my toolbox a 41b style?

Is my toolbox a 41b style?

I have just purchased an older Gerstner toolbox from a local man that told me received it from his grandfather. Since the man I bought the toolbox from is 64, I’m guessing the toolbox to be made around 1945. On the wood under the bottom drawer it’s printed BUILT BY H. GERSTNER & SONS DAYTON, OHIO. There is also handwritten 263-Y. The bottom of each drawer is made of metal. I think it’s a style 41b.
    Last edited by Carvesinwood; 05-25-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Correct handwriting on inside box

It would be necessary to know the dimensions of the box to determine that. Since Gerstner started using the stencil inside the bottom of the box around 1940, it's a pretty safe bet that it is from that era.

You need to check here:

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...-pix-age-chart

I measured it and it is 20”w 12 1/4” H 8 5/8”D

According to Ted's chart, that would be an O (as in Oak) 41B. Did you consult the chart on his web site?

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    According to Ted's chart, that would be an O (as in Oak) 41B. Did you consult the chart on his web site?
    Yes, I read the chart. I agree that itís a 041b. Thatís what I thought it might be in my original text. Is there anyway to get a more accurate year that it was made? There was some handwriting on the bottom next to the H. Gerstner and Sons stamp. It read 273-Y.

The 273Y number is just a manufacturing number they used to keep the pieces together throughout the process. Unfortunately, Gerstner made no correlation or cross-reference that would help to date these boxes. We can just get close by observing various characteristics of construction and hardware to get a general idea of when they were made. Gerstner offers a service to date them, but it costs 50 bucks to get a vague answer.

According to this chart, yours was most likely made between 1954 and 1959.

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...style-10-11-12