Thread: New Project: Mahogany 52

New Project: Mahogany 52

Looking forward to this one, which truly is a project. Lots of extra knobs, total felt redo, cracked front lid.

Gerstner_-3.jpg

First step will be to uncover that label. Too bad someone added a knob right through its center.

Gerstner_.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim, that's quite a project all right. It will be stunning when it's done. It looks like all that is left of the label is the paper backing; the foil looks to be missing.

https://gerstnerusa.com/replacement-hardware/part-1075-gerstner-old-style-foil-drawer-label

Terry

I agree with Terry. This has the bones of a really beautiful chest. We will enjoy seeing pictures of the progress.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

That is a nice tool chest.

Hi Terry,

Looking for some advice here. I glued the lid back together, but am not happy with one sliver of wood here that I was unable to get flush. What would you do in this situation? Is there a way to take apart this one piece? I'm concerned about doing more harm than good.

Lid 01.jpg
    Lid 02.jpg

I think that attempts to take this apart and repair it may do just that - cause more harm than good. I would be inclined to sand it flush, if it is stable, and then use a Blend-Fil pencil to fill in the crack once it is finished. It's never going to be perfect again... It is added character.