Thread: Why do I keep restoring leatherette chests?

Why do I keep restoring leatherette chests?

Once again...out of Rhode Island from a gentleman in his mid-80s. It was his fathers and it was a mess. Leatherette was patched using a different technique I recently stumbled on. Handle by "Mr. Handle." Hardware has a patent date of 1909. It will go with my other 100 year-old chests. Wonderful history and those are usually my favorite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More pics

Really like this now that it's completed. Supposedly from one the New England's finest machinists and his record may prove it true.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh.....by the way. At the end I put the new Gerstner label on since the old one couldn't be saved. Gerstner does a nice job providing older labels, except these. I really work hard making a chest match the old chests....from the felt, the glue I use....everything, but this thing just doesn't look right. I wish they would make the old decal to match the older chests.

It looks great! It seems you have perfected your own method of leatherette restoration.

I still love these boxes, though they are not the best sellers, and my wife rags on me when I buy one. She just doesn't get the history, form, and function like we do.

I just finished a chest by an unknown maker and have at least 16 other leatherette boxes in stock.

IMG_5733.jpgIMG_5734.jpgIMG_5735.jpgIMG_5736.jpg

Since the hardware is riveted on, I didn't remove it and polish it like I usually do. I just cleaned it up in place.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly...herchests/2889
    Last edited by user459; 05-09-2019 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Added link