Thread: Till Felting Tips

Till Felting Tips

Newer member to forum and Club.

First, a big thanks to those who have shared their wealth of knowledge privately to this point and their patience while I'm learning the restoration craft. Certainly appreciative.

- Currently working on an old non-Gerstner chest and finishing up the felting on the till/lid. This box doesn't have any corner bracing. Is it best to cut the felt into four pre-measured sections and then working corner to corner install each of the four sections or do folks prefer creating and "L" shape and wrapping around corners?

Later this week, I'll be installing felt in a model 42 and will be coming across corner braces. Does the install process change at all with bracing in place? Best to use four separate pieces of felt in this instance?

I realize that I'll also need to notch the bottom piece of felt on the till so it fits snuggling in the corners. Best to use an X-ACTO knife, utility blade or other method when notching?

Please see the responses embedded below:

Quote Originally Posted by Jclachance View Post
    Newer member to forum and Club.

First, a big thanks to those who have shared their wealth of knowledge privately to this point and their patience while I'm learning the restoration craft. Certainly appreciative.

- Currently working on an old non-Gerstner chest and finishing up the felting on the till/lid. This box doesn't have any corner bracing. Is it best to cut the felt into four pre-measured sections and then working corner to corner install each of the four sections or do folks prefer creating and "L" shape and wrapping around corners?

The felt is in THREE separate pieces; one covering the floor of the till, and two covering both the long and short sides of the till One of the narrow strips starts in the corner where the shot and long sides meet, and ends up in the opposite corner. Yes, it is better and more original to use separate strips rather than continuous ones.

Later this week, I'll be installing felt in a model 42 and will be coming across corner braces. Does the install process change at all with bracing in place? Best to use four separate pieces of felt in this instance?

It's always best to use THREE separate pieces as described above. The only difference is nipping off the corners of the bottom piece and starting the narrow pieces on the brace instead of in the corner.

I realize that I'll also need to notch the bottom piece of felt on the till so it fits snuggling in the corners. Best to use an X-ACTO knife, utility blade or other method when notching?

Use a sharp pair of scissors.

The procedure is covered in detail on my web site under, "Tool Chest Restoration Process" on the Home page.