Thread: Pin Eyelets & Oak Supplies

Pin Eyelets & Oak Supplies

New to the Gerstner Forum

First, a big thank you to those who have shared their years of expertise and knowledge privately to this new comer to the restoration process. Many thanks and certainly appreciate your patience while I continue to soak it all in and learn.

Questions

- Is there a standard length on the 3/16 diameter brass eyelets used in combination with the cover/door pins? Best place to source these?

- Also need to replace a cover/door on an old Star chest...any recommendations for a preferred quarter sawn oak stock supplier? Assuming best to use White Oak?

See Below

Quote Originally Posted by Jclachance View Post
    New to the Gerstner Forum

First, a big thank you to those who have shared their years of expertise and knowledge privately to this new comer to the restoration process. Many thanks and certainly appreciate your patience while I continue to soak it all in and learn.

Questions

- Is there a standard length on the 3/16 diameter brass eyelets used in combination with the cover/door pins? Best place to source these?

The last ones I got from Gerstner have rolled flanges and are 7/32" in diameter. They are 13/32 overall length.

IMG_5724.jpg

- Also need to replace a cover/door on an old Star chest...any recommendations for a preferred quarter sawn oak stock supplier? Assuming best to use White Oak?
    I am not convinced that STAR used quarter sawn oak. I've seen a lot of theirs with straight grain white oak.