Thread: Drawer knobs

Drawer knobs

P1010478.jpg New member - first post! Picture shows 2 different styles of drawer knobs on a Gerstner Style 42. Only 3 of the knobs look like the bottom one, so I'm assuming the top one is original. The top one looks like the Bakelite ones, except mine are nickel colored. If I can't find replacements for the 3 odd knobs, I'll probably just leave them as is. Anybody ever see the Bakelite style in nickel?

No, bakelite cannot be plated in nickel due to its non-conductive nature as an early form of plastic. It may have been painted by a previous owner.

https://gerstnerusa.com/replacement-...wn-drawer-knob

More on my website:

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/drawerknobs

The knobs on the bottom drawer and the top skinny drawer are not original and are nothing I have seen before.

It's possible it came with either nickel-plated knobs or bakelite knobs. I have seen both.

Thank you for the info, Terry. I will be removing the knobs today and will see if they are painted. I don't think so. I mentioned the Bakelite only because they have the same look as the Bakelite. I realize that Bakelite can't be plated. I will also mention that all of the knobs are attached with screws through the drawer front and into the knob itself. The knobs I see on the Gerstner site all have the screw as part of the knob itself. I'm beginning to think that maybe they're all replacements! I'll let you know what I find when I get the knobs off.

I took the knobs off and they're all made of metal. I think I'll see how they clean up before I decide what to do about replacements. Did Gerstner ever use a 2-piece knob? All of the knobs have a separate screw that attaches to the knob from the back. Now I have to do some repair of the wood on the back at the bottom, so there's plenty to keep me busy before I have to decide about the knobs!

To my knowledge, Gerstner never used a knob that required a screw to be inserted from the back of the drawer front. They had wood screws anchored into the knob material and screwed directly into the wood from the front.

I've seen all sorts of substitutions by previous owners. At the time, they were more concerned with performance than originality. I like to call them machinist's solutions to woodworking problems.