Thread: Wood For Drawers

Wood For Drawers

After browsing this site and finding useful information, I have joined the Forum today.

I have a Starrett mahogany chest in rough condition which I would like to restore. From information found on the forum, this chest was made by Gerstner for the L. S. Starrett Co. One drawer is missing and I plan to make a replacement. Does anyone know what kind of wood the sides and back of the drawers were made from? Also, the top handle is missing. I like to restore things as true to the original as possible, so it would be great to find an original style handle. Any ideas where to find one?

I hope as I gain experience in restoring machinist chests that I can contribute something useful to the Forum.

Best regards,

Restorer

Starrett Experiences

In my experience, the drawer sides were made of a lesser hardwood such as poplar. I have used it successfully to make many replacement drawers. I think I have some mahogany drawers in storage. Can you send met the dimensions of the one you are looking for? Pictures would help also. You can send them to redrush@cfl.r.com, if that is easier than posting them here.

The Starrett case had a unique handle. I found a couple in a box in the parts room at Gerstner & Sons in Dayton. I can check to see if I have a spare.

s-2.jpgs-1.jpg

I have restored several mahogany Starretts and have two now awaiting restoral. Scott just found a stash of the original Starrett nameplates, too.

Here's a link to Starrett boxes I have restored or are in progress: https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/starrett