Thread: My first gertsner (a o41c)

My first gertsner (a o41c)

Fellow members,
    I picked up my first Gerstner, a model O41C, from a local on line auction site. It looked pretty rough in the pictures but since the seller lived near where I work, I decided to stop by and see first hand if it was worth my time. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the box appeared sound with what appeared to be all original hardware. It was caked with a heavy layer of dust and the hardware was heavily corroded but it all looked salvageable. I ended up spending Friday afternoon and evening as well as a good portion of Saturday using naval jelly, Blue Magic metal polish and finally Rust-O-leum Rust Dissolver to remove the the corrosion. The hardware didn't come out perfect, but it looks presentable now. For the wood box, I scrubbed it with a fine sanding pad soaked in a diluted mixture of water and murphy's oil and then applied a coating of Howards Restore -a -Finish. This coming weekend I will add a coat of polish. I am pretty happy with how it has turned out. I didn't want a new looking chest but rather one that was sound, clean and showed honest signs of wear. I really like the way these boxes are put together. I plan to use it to store my knives. The first three pictures show the pre clean condition and the final two show the post clean up condition.

Regards,
    Foxdoublegunner

Gertsner Pre front open 2.jpgGertsner Pre front open.jpgGertsner Pre side front.jpgGertsner Post Open front.jpgGertsner Front closed post.jpg

Very nice clean-up there, cowboy!

Nice purchase and a great cleanup job.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

Thank you. This was a fun project. I appreciate the tips from all of you on the forum-They were very helpful.
    The fact that I was able to acquire such a well made box at a reasonable price made the experience even better. It now houses my knives and compasses.
    Every time that I look at it a smile comes to my face as I remember what it looked like when I first went to the sellers place to see it. Once again it proves that if something is well made (like an old Gertsner chest) it is worth the effort to clean and fix it up so that it will last another 70 years.

Great job. I love it.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts