Thread: Kwality Kases

Kwality Kases

Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum. I have a thread going on a Star/National Cabinet Co. chest I'm cleaning up but as a further intro I bought this case or "kase" a few months back. My limited research finds an ad from May of 1916 Popular Mechanics offering these for sale.The timeline holds pretty true as one of the drawers has a newspaper lining above the felt dated Oct.10,1917.
    005 (Medium).jpg006 (Medium).jpg007 (Medium).jpg008 (Medium).jpg

The manufacturer/advertiser was less than 10 miles from where I bough the case ,just over 100 years later.
    Untitled.jpg

Last photo showing the missing drawer from above. When the photos were taken I had not emptied the contents of that drawer yet.
    004crop (Medium).jpg

The case is covered in black leatherette. Still all there,only thing I don't have is the keys. I'd suspect in the condition the tools were in the (late)gentleman had the keys somewhere.I just did not find them at the sale.

What a great find! I can't tell from the pictures if the wood is mahogany or birch. It has a real classy look about it with the leatherette and the nickel trim pieces. It's in amazing condition for a box that old! Is there a number on the lock? I have a few cases with the same type rectangular lock.

Kwality Kases was the brand name for Chicago Leather Goods Co. in Detroit and was a chest Secondary Supplier. Their chests were Wedell & Boers, Detroit, with their own nameplate. Go to Pg 25 on this site for Wedell & Boers info. -
    https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...chinistchests/
    Have a good one...…..Ted

034 (Large).jpg030 (Large).jpg031 (Large).jpg032 (Large).jpg035crop.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    What a great find! I can't tell from the pictures if the wood is mahogany or birch. It has a real classy look about it with the leatherette and the nickel trim pieces. It's in amazing condition for a box that old! Is there a number on the lock? I have a few cases with the same type rectangular lock.
    Thanks,Terry. The lock has EA3 stamped underneath it. I had almost given up when I saw the small numbers underneath. I believe the wood to be mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by toolbox View Post
    Kwality Kases was the brand name for Chicago Leather Goods Co. in Detroit and was a chest Secondary Supplier. Their chests were Wedell & Boers, Detroit, with their own nameplate. Go to Pg 25 on this site for Wedell & Boers info. -
    https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...chinistchests/
    Have a good one...…..Ted
    Thanks,Ted I probably would not have put the two clues together. Now to keep an eye out for a Wedell & Boers nameplate. It would be cool to keep with the chest ,going back to when Detroit was in the forefront of industry.
    What is odd is the dimensions don't align with the chart as I am assuming I have a 5/2 case 5 small drawers,2 large .Dimensions are 18-7/8" wide, 8-1/2" deep, 12-1/2" high

It probably doesn't line up with the Wedell & Boers because it was made to Chicago Leather Goods specifications. That's also why it doesn't carry the Wedell & Boers nameplate.

Sorry, I don't have a key for the EA3 lock.

Kwality Kases may have specified your size of chest, as Terry suggested. W & B apparently did not offer that size themselves, at least to the best of my knowledge. This would mean Kwality Kases would qualify as a ‘manufacturer’, even though W & B actually did the work, and not a Secondary Supplier.
    This type of a situation can arise occasionally and thanks for pointing out the differences……Ted

I thought that one looked familiar. I may have restored a Kwality Kase and didn't even know it!

Check this one out: https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly...herchests/2096

Looks like yours?
    Last edited by user459; 07-24-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    I thought that one looked familiar. I may have restores a Kwality Kase and didn't even know it!

Check this one out: https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly...herchests/2096

Looks like yours?
    Looks identical in materials,construction,hardware.

BTW after reading bought a can of Meguiar's Black Plastic restore and the leatherette looks even better today.

What a beautiful case. Congrats. Wowzers!
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts