Thread: Hasp fastener spring replacement?

Nevermind.

Figured it out on my own.
    Last edited by 25b; 06-29-2018 at 08:10 PM.

Possible? Anything is possible, but maybe not probable. I haven't had much luck installing them without the steel shim. The spring ends up flying to somewhere in my shop where it will never be found. Try a piece of steel banding material like they use to bind up loads of lumber, etc. Cut about a 6 or 7 inch length and put a little bend on the end. You may have to tweak the width a bit. Make sure it has a light coat of oil on it so it will slide out easily.

I go back to the Gerstner video all the time to make sure I have the spring and the shim orientated correctly.

Thanks for the reply...I used some 303 welding wire, but that banding steel would’ve worked great. I don’t have any here, but I could probably find some around town...

Check the dumpsters....

Any hints on removing a stubborn broken spring from inside the catch?

My wife is heavy in to crafts. I got an old pair of very small needle nose pliers she didn't want any more. Works for me.

Yeah, I can’t get anything under the edge of the spring to take it out...I tried a tiny flat blade screwdriver, but I can wedge it under the edge.

I hope this is a different catch than the one you already replaced the spring on! If all else fails, sent it to me and I'll fix it for you.

No, this is a different one that needed a new spring. It seems to be broken in half inside the catch, but it’s stuck in there...going to see if I have anything at all around here to get it out...

Ok, well are sone of these spring inserts just defective? Or do they not work well in all catches?

I just replaced the second one and it hardly has any resistance at all...it’s almost like it was with the worn-out spring that was in it before that took me two hours to remove.

I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly...it’s seated under the outer lip and the bowed part is facing the flat side of the catch. Pretty disappointed with this one. First one I did works great.

Gerstner has a video that shows how to replace a hasp spring.

Yeah. I already knew about the video. I've watched the video like thirty times now. This is just a crap spring. That’s all.

I finally happened across some suitable material and made a couple tools by thinning them on a grinder to fit in the lock.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/hardware/77