Thread: How can we get more people to post on the forum?

How can we get more people to post on the forum?

It seems that the same few make members the most posts on the forum!

I see that a lot of members view the posts, but don't post their replies. I'm sure there are a lot of questions to be asked and comments to be made.

Please don't be afraid to put them down in the form of a reply or a new post! We love it when you do that! I click on the "New Posts" tab many times a day.

I've love to hear from you and see your pictures.

I posted a simple question to you 5 months ago and you never responded, why should I waste my time?

You're right. Don't waste your time. I never want to hear from you again.

Terry, you certainly didn’t mind hearing from me when you wanted to know more about the locks I use on my #31 cases.

That company went out of business....

One way that might help is to get the forum onto other forum friendly platforms. There is a forum based app called Tapatalk that hosts forums in one location instead of having to go to a web based page for everyone you belong to. I have all of my forums in one location and can just click into it and see the newest info posted and sort much easier. I belong to several firearms forums as well as forums for my car and husky(My dog Sakura) and I can check them all in one location but have to go to a web browser to come here.

https://www.tapatalk.com/

Might not hurt to have the moderators look into this format to get Gerstner Forum out there more. I searched Tapatalk for this forum before I signed up and found nothing but posts from other forums. I only realized there was one after visiting the commercial site. There is info posted to several forums involving Gerstner when I did a search so there are people in other forums talking about or interested in Gerstner. Might wrangle up some new members by expanding the footprint.
    Last edited by GGGFLA17; 07-09-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Over the years I’ve given a lot of people the opportunity to take a look at my collection....they were blown away by Gerstner and it’s story. Several went out and secured one for themselves and proudly show them, but that is where it usually ends. Most don’t have the funds or skills to make it a full blown hobby and join the forum. I do know I’ve personally got a few into the “Gerstner thing,” and I feel really good about that. Unfortunately, many of the younger kids never got the chance to use tools because shop classes in our schools were eliminated, which was a terrible mistake. I know a Terry has shows, which is important in promoting this great hobby of ours. I look at the darn things as an art form and a chance to keep my skills sharp. I wish Pawn Stars would have a Gerstner come on their show....watch the interest go up.
    Last edited by Den052; 07-28-2018 at 11:51 PM.

True, people are usually blown away when they see my booth full of machinist's tool chests and such. They never knew there was such a thing! I do my best to educate them and acquaint them with the history of the guys who built America. Some just think I make them "into" jewelry boxes. Others remember that their father of grandfather or Uncle Joe was a tool and die maker and had a box like that.

Most are intrigued and spellbound by their beauty. Hey, lots of drawers and shiny little knobs - what's not to like? I may sell a few at the shows, but I get to tell lots of people about these boxes. It's all therapy for my mental condition...

I'm new here. To the question originally asked on this thread--I find it too complicated to try to post photos--in fact, I haven't been successful yet. I occasionally post on the Vintage Machinery forum--there I can add a photo with just two clicks; also the photo comes out larger on-screen than here.

After my first post, I got a private message suggesting I add my location by going to my "User ID." Heck, I can't even FIND my "User ID."

Alan Goebes
    Indianapolis

In your case, you User ID is "Alan Goebes" as it appears in the heading of your post. That is what you selected as your User ID when you signed up for the forum.

Part of the thread/post review process might be making it cumbersome. There's a significant delay in trying to post and it showing up on the forum. I imagine this is because they're looked over to make sure it's not spam. I totally understand why you'd want to do that but the thread I submitted took a while to show up and after checking back for a few days I kinda gave up. I'm glad I came back because you've provided some great info but I can see that as being an issue for new members.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Goebes View Post
    I'm new here. To the question originally asked on this thread--I find it too complicated to try to post photos--in fact, I haven't been successful yet. I occasionally post on the Vintage Machinery forum--there I can add a photo with just two clicks; also the photo comes out larger on-screen than here.

After my first post, I got a private message suggesting I add my location by going to my "User ID." Heck, I can't even FIND my "User ID."

Alan Goebes
    Indianapolis
    Alan,
    Welcome to the forum. I've only been here a few weeks myself.
    To upload photos I :
    screen1 (Medium).jpgscreen2 (Medium).jpgscreen3 (Medium).jpgscreen4 (Medium).jpgscreen5 (Medium).jpg

Photos above were resized to MEDIUM using this free download:
    https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

You can hit"preview post" if everything looks right "submit reply"

I solved the small photo size problem by loading my pics to a file share site like PhotoBucket and then attach the URL link to my post and get full size photos.

Check out my restoration thread https://www.gerstnerforum.com/showth...stner-Refinish and you can see the pics much better using this format. This way you do not need to format photos to a certain size you just load the largest best photo you have to the share site.
    Last edited by GGGFLA17; 08-30-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added info
    “Who are you to judge the life I live?
    I know I'm not perfect
    -and I don't live to be-
    but before you start pointing fingers...
    make sure you hands are clean!”

- Robert Nesta Marley -

Is there another site that we can use? Could this be a reason we don’t have the participation we should?

We did try another site for a while. A forum member went to a lot of trouble to get it up and running, yet it failed for the same old reason - lack of participation. Those who really want to can work around the limitations of the picture-posting process and get involved. I get comments, questions and pictures through email that should really be posted on the site.

I'll keep posting and hope others will do the same. This is a valuable resource for all of us.