Thread: Bliss machinist chest

Bliss machinist chest

I was talking to Terry the other night. Complaining about aches and pains, and then switched to the chests we were working on. I brought up the subject of chest I had done some time ago, made by Bliss. My wife wanted it for here jewelry so I never posted about it. Terry wanted a photo of it and here it is. You can see it is similar to the Jennings however, the drawer locking mechanism is different, but operates in the same manner of a Jennings. It's a beautiful chest. All quarter sawn white oak. It has brass corner bracing inside the top till area, again like the two Jennings I own. The lid restraint is a sliding brass slotted arm, not a chain like my Jennings. And, it also has a working key.....The chest measures 18 3/4" across, 12" deep, and 12" tall. My wife really likes the way it turned out. Truly, a unique chest.
    P.S. I removed her jewelry from the top till area before taking the photo.

IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0216.jpg

That's a very unique chest! I can see why your wife took it over.

Hey Bill,
    I’m researching the ‘Old’ style machinist tool chests for ‘possible’ inclusion in ‘The’ Guide. Would you do me a big favor and tell me what the inside dimensions are of the top till. Bliss advertised the sizes of chests by the till’s inside dimensions, not the chest’s outside dimensions. Also, how do you know it’s a Bliss? You did a great job of restoration.
    If you have other ‘Old’ style machinist chests, I may be able to help id the manufacturer and style # if I had the necessary dimensions and pic’s.
    Have a good one……..Ted

I sent you the measurements (not sure if they went through) For some reason I couldn't even log on much less post photos. Our cable company went down and took most everything of mine with it. I can now post replies, but still can't post photos. My Email, Ebay, Etsy, and other related sites just would not let me sign on. This morning, I had to call Gerstner to order a part. Now I can post a reply, maybe this mess will soon be over.

Those episodes are a real pain in the butt, I've been there. Yes, I did receive your PM, thanks much. Right now I'm thinking that your chest may be a C.E. Jennings. Does it have an R. Bliss id anywhere on it?......Ted