Thread: Back part of my chest

Back part of my chest

I received a red oak 2610 kit from my wife for Christmas. I opened the crate today to inspect the parts. I discovered that the part for the back of the chest has a veneer that is not completely sanded such that it will never finish up to the quality I expected. My chest was purchased on sales order 49048 and shipped on your invoice number 94592. Please see the attached photo. I don't think this quality is acceptable from Gerstner. Please contact me to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never done a Kit chest, however I have done a lot of restorations. Since the back and top of the lid are veneer I have resorted to hand sanding so I don't blow through the veneer, a possibility with a machine. After I remove the old finish, I start out with 120 grit to get most of it smooth down and finish with 220 grit. I find, for me, starting out with anything coarser, will damage the veneer. Of course, your project is different than my projects and I don't know how or what is involved in order to complete a Kit job. Any way, I have found that Gerstner is supportive with any issues. Lucky guy to have your wife get that for you.

Thanks for your comments and advice Bill. I would try sanding this out but honestly, at more than $800 for the kit, I think the parts should be higher quality than this. Hopefully, Gerstner will take care of it. I have also heard of their solid reputation for customer support.

You are not going to get the action you require through this Forum. You need to contact Gerstner directly through the phone numbers or email addresses listed on the site. This forum is for enthusiasts and is not part of Gerstner's customer service organization.

Contact them directly.
    http://gerstnerusa.com/index.php?rou...mation/contact

Ask for Scott Campbell for fastest service. scott@gerstnerusa.com

Thanks for the advice user459. I have contacted them by email as well. Their offices are quite understandably closed until early January.

I also forwarded your post to Scott. I'm sure they'll be in contact shortly.

@jaleonard3

Thank you for the pictures of the back to your kit chest. Yes, we can send another back for the kit chest you purchased. I sent an e-mail to you before I saw the pictures you posted.

Is picture of the back, the inside face (when installed would be facing the inside of the chest), or the outside face (when installed would be facing outward and visible after the chest is assembled)? The reason I ask is we sand the plywood veneer panels to a uniform thickness and try to keep the good face showing to the outside of the chest. If we happen to sand through the veneer on the plywood panel, we keep that to the inside of the chest where it isn't visible upon completion.

Just want to let everyone here know that Scott did contact me and he took care of this very graciously. Thanks Scott!