Thread: Astronomy Eyepeice Case???

Smile Astronomy Eyepeice Case???

One of the reasons I became interested in Gerstner tool chests, besides their beauty and workmanship, is my hobby of astronomy. I was looking for a secure field case to contain eyepieces, diagonals, filters, and all of the other junk that we haul out into the field for observing.

Eyepiece collections can get pretty outrageous re. prices, and do it very quickly; it's not uncommon for a single eyepiece to go for $500 or more (MUCH more!!!), and often amateurs will carry several thousand dollars worth of glass and accessories into the field. I'm only a beginner, but by VERY carefully working the used equipment market (mostly estate sales) I've already accumulated an eyepiece collection that retails for over $8000 !!! I was shocked and amazed when I totaled it all up.

I got a 41C, and it's only been partially successful; the top well, with a home made insert, can handle smaller, standard sized eyepeices, and a few of the more sophisticated ones can go in the large bottom drawer (which I fitted with home made dividers); they can get pretty large. The problem is the 41C doesn't have enough capacity for larger items.

Looking over the new RangeMaster model, there seems to be a lot MORE larger item space; if it was fitted with eyepiece inserts and / or dividers, it might well fill the bill.

One change; a RangeMaster chest with a locking front panel (like the 41C has) would be VERY desirable. I like to think that people are generally honest, but we're playing a high stakes game here; when you're otherwise occupied and somebody examines your latest gem without your permission and then accidentally fumbles it, things can get ugly REAL fast!

One feature I added to my 41C; a rubber gasket on the top compartment to make it somewhat airtight, and one eyepiece well was sacrificed to hold a container of silica gel to suck up humidity.

Here are a few examples of other cases on the market. Note that the prices on them can be sort of high too; I think there might well be enough folks who will pay Gerstner prices to make it viable.

http://falconflyr.tripod.com/bluemoon/index.html

http://www.wood-wonders.com/Eyepiece.htm

Just a thought... any comments?

Mr. T.

Owner & Operator of Mahon Loomis Memorial Radio Monitoring Station & Retirement Home for Ancient Irish Setters

Connoisseur of Russian & British Motorcycles, Ham radio, Sports Kilts, Photography, Women's Flat Track Roller Derby, Muzzle Loaders, and other Eclectic Ephemera

Sounds like the chest bug has bitten you. Chests are like boats and motorcycles. You get one, and after a while, you want a bigger one, and the cycle continues continues. Maybe you could come up with a set of dimensions that you need to fit your items in and contact Gerstner and see if the two of you can come up with a model. Another thought would could check out some other types of vintage and antique chests and see if they can meet your needs, like a Jennings or similar, if you are interested in restoring chests. One benefit of owning a Gerstner and storing items that can be affected by humidity is that is the main reason machinists bought these chests because the wood acts as a barrier against humidity, as opposed to steel boxes. I have some items I have collected and stored in some of my chests. Some of these items are susceptible to humidity, so I save those little containers that are put in to my old prescription bottles and put them in the drawers, but that's an old man thing. You also might look in to a Base unit. It seems that some of them have deeper bottom drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images