Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hinge styles

As for myself, I would pass on it. As for age, I would WAG sometime in the 30's or even earlier. I'm looking at the hinges, the corner protectors and it looks like #6 screws.

Another chest Gerstner made without label is a National. There are times in production through out the decades, Gerstner had to use several different lock companies due to availability.

I have seen them before, but I'm pretty sure they are not Gerstner.

I knew I had seen them before! I found them on my bench, but can't remember where I got them... I have CRS...Can't Remember Squat!

IMG_1516.jpg

Hmmm I was sure I had posted a reply to this. Sigh getting old.
    The box is definitely a Gerstner, so I find it quite interesting. Might make an offer.

Well, I made an offer for the box only and he accepted it. Will be a couple weeks till I get it, pictures when it arrives...

Cool! You might want to email Scott and ask him about those 6 rivet hinges and when they were used.
    Scott@gerstnerusa.com

Good thought. Sorry for the radio silence, work has been insane.

I'm glad you have work. Hope it doesn't interfere too much with your hobby!!

So that box showed up yesterday, haven't had time to do anything to it, but it's definitely a Gerstner, very well preserved oval decal, numbers on the backs of the drawers match the number on the carcass, etc.
    So, two questions; first, Terry are those hinges from a Gerstner? Or were these a shortage that got procured to cover production?
    Second (or maybe third, depending on how one counts these things) this is the second old box I have received that has rubber bumpers on the backs of the drawers. Never heard of this before and I assumed the model 24 was an owner modification. Now I have this old 41 with the same bumpers.
    Anyone? Bueller?

bc,

I'm pretty sure the hinges were fro a box I parted out, most likely a Gerstner that was beyond salvation. I have seen little nails or spacers on the back of drawers, used to make them flush with the fronts.

Interesting. Haven't seen those hinges anywhere other than your photos, Terry.

Any idea if those little rubber baby buggy bumpers are available anywhere?

No idea. I would try Ace Hardware.

What do the bumpers look like? I may be able to help you out. Check our www.bumperspecialties.com . I run the manufacturing facility so is you see something that looks right PM me and let me know.

Joe R

We need pictures, pictures, pictures!