Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Style 41

I know I'm late on this one, but did you consider fire to get these out? Like, set the whole box on fire and let it burn until these things jump out like a tick? Sounds reasonable to me.

A little late to the party, Jim? I just drove them in a little further and ignored them. I do, however, have a Star chest I'm considering as a candidate for the fire method.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    A little late to the party, Jim? I just drove them in a little further and ignored them. I do, however, have a Star chest I'm considering as a candidate for the fire method.
    I'm late to everything but breakfast!

I love this hobby, it's good to have people like y'all to converse with about it. My local friends don't get it, the love of taking something old and making it new again, and the time and care we put into all this. I'm having the time of my life doing this, despite the 4 stitches I gave myself last weekend (brand new 1" chisel to the finger).

Finished up today

I felted three boxes today; this O41C, a Union B-20, and Union Style "F" that's a hundred years old. It felt good to catch up on my felting.

IMG_7754.jpgIMG_7755.jpgIMG_7751.jpgIMG_7752.jpgIMG_7753.jpg

I picked up this O41A off the bay, it has more grease than wood, but this thing is TIGHT and exceptionally well kept! I need to wrap up a Union B20 before I start on this, but I can't wait to peel back the years and unleash the beauty within. Farm fresh!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Visiting the Northeast

We drove up from Florida to Connecticut to see our daughters. Before I left, I bought a National 64O that was advertised on Craigslist.
    IMG_7944.jpg
    https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly...herchests/1640

Before I could go to pick it up, I visited a local weekend flea market and found a 99 year old Pilliod Model #50.

IMG_7928.jpgIMG_7927.jpg
    https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/pilliod/359

I went back to that same flea market today and saw a Gerstner O41B sitting all alone on the floor in the middle of a vendor's booth. Needless to say, It followed me home!

IMG_8018.jpg
    https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/3185
    Last edited by user459; 09-18-2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Add photos

W41C - age?

I just picked up a walnut 41C. I'm a little confused about the age. The seller said her father bought it in the early 70s, but the drawer label seems much newer. Any thoughts?

IMG_3509.jpgIMG_3510.jpgIMG_3511.jpg

It also came with several Gerstner advertising pieces including a very cool business card from Jack Campbell.

IMG_3512.jpgIMG_3513.jpg

On the bottom of the drawers, are there nails or staples securing the metal bottom to the drawer? And just to say it was done, is it a numbers matching chest? Do the first three numbers on the back of the drawers match the production code numbers inside the bottom of the chest with the Gerstner stamp? I am literately out the door until eve. of Monday.

What year did they go to staples?

Yes, there are staples on the drawer bottoms and they are all numbered correctly to match the lot sequence on the bottom of the chest. I've also attached pictures of the lock and handle if that helps.

IMG_3507.jpgIMG_3508.jpg

Mullmer

The W41C you have is from the early 80's. We changed to the long drawer label on your chest in the late 70's. The rest of the hardware looks like it is from the early 80's.

Thanks Scott. That makes perfect sense, especially since I also found initials dated 1984 under one of the drawers.