Thread: Suggestion

Suggestion

How about a chest, one of the smaller ones to test the market, that has maybe a generic military theme to cover all branches.

After being exposed to the machinist chest hobby for several years, it is apparent that the vintage and antique Gerstner products have become very desirable and from the looks of it will be so for a long time, even after we are gone. One of the most common topics addressed is age. My suggestion is that some type of stamped Gerstner brand label be incorporated with the existing stamped label. The new label would include a date of production and possible the initials of the technicians that built the chest. To me, the initials would further connect the customer to the individual technicians to the chest and the date of manufacture will be a historical reference point to some old retired guy who in forty years or so picks up an "Old" chest from a source and restores it for a personal collection or to some collector. I think this would be reasonable, as it apparent that Gerstner will be around in 40 years or so as it has outlasted all of the others. Someone who purchases a "New" chest now, will be able to hand it down to relatives, who can so that my grandpa bought this chest way back in 2014, also making it for a historical reference for them.

I agree, Bill. That's a great idea!
    Ken Lewellyn

I think that's a good idea too. I brought it up a while back and don't think it was ever answered, but I'm wondering if there is a very real reason why they haven't dated chests. This has to of come up many times in the last 108 years and a choice is made not to date.

maybe it's to keep some of the mystery and force owners to research and try and find out the info.
    Matthew Ward | Milw. WI

Quote Originally Posted by mtward View Post
    maybe it's to keep some of the mystery and force owners to research and try and find out the info.
    I'm thinking they must get a gazillion calls from people wanting to know when their chest was made. I'm guessing it must drive them crazy, so I think they would welcome a date.
    Ken Lewellyn

I agree that cases and chests should be easier to date. I also do not understand the resistance to this effort. I don’t believe it’s that complicated for general dating purposes.
    For ‘Official’ dating you’d still have to go thru Gerstner.
    ‘History’ is just part of the product that Gerstner sells. Probably most of their customers are buying just because they would LIKE to own one, not because they HAVE to. Broadening the history knowledge should help to improve interest.
    While on the history subject, I suggest that Gerstner should start including more history in their products by returning to the old style, oval, water labels as an example. Except, maybe, stamp them out of a thin brass plate, not foil. Returning to old features would be a nice move.
    Have a good one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with putting more history about Gerstner in the chests. I also like the idea of changing the stamping that we put inside chests to include a production date, I will see what I can come up with.

Or maybe not making it super obvious with an actual date, but more of a dating system. Think like Case Knives with the different Case stampings for each decade and dots for the years, etc etc. A little research and know-how is fun. Plus it then forces people to search out the answer bringing them into the community; versus just being told the answer.
    Matthew Ward | Milw. WI

I like the production date idea. Here's an example -
    When Westinghouse was manufacturing Coca-Cola Chest Coolers in 1934 – 1959, they had a date code embossed in an inside tank wall. ‘W’ stood for Westinghouse, then 3 or 4 more letters which represented the month (first 1 or 2 ltrs) and the year (last 2 ltrs) of manufacture. The date letters had to be deciphered using the code word ‘RADIO TUBES’. R=1, A=2, etc. to S=0 or could be the month of Oct. (W-DIR = Mar. 1941).

I'd like to see a book covering the history of Gerstner boxes from day one on up, have a pictorial of all the boxes with a best guess as to production years, unique features, and hardware specific features to narrow production periods. Think serial numbers on M1 Garands, lots of info can be had off just a simple serial number. Now a book with all the case models listed would be nice. I'd pay good money for it.
    I get more complements on my Gerstner then any other tool in the shop. My only regret was not upgrading the wood, Should have got the cherry or hickory. But the Oak is still far more beautiful then plain sawn oak.

Quote Originally Posted by toolbox View Post
    I like the production date idea. Here's an example -
    When Westinghouse was manufacturing Coca-Cola Chest Coolers in 1934 – 1959, they had a date code embossed in an inside tank wall. ‘W’ stood for Westinghouse, then 3 or 4 more letters which represented the month (first 1 or 2 ltrs) and the year (last 2 ltrs) of manufacture. The date letters had to be deciphered using the code word ‘RADIO TUBES’. R=1, A=2, etc. to S=0 or could be the month of Oct. (W-DIR = Mar. 1941).
    Something with old radio companies, I would think about that or with drawers to hold tubes

Since I have been involved in this chest hobby, I have seen lots of old Gerstner chests and some great restorations. Included is some of the great work done by some of the members to locate and reveal the history of these chests by way of old advertisements and just plain research on documentation on the history associated with the manufacture of the Gerstner chests. I think it would be a great opportunity for Gerstner advertising to include photos of some of the restored chests and associated history to show the enduring quality and craftsmanship of the Gerstner chest throughout the decades in some sort of advertising venue, showing how long Gerstner has been making chests, concluding with some photos of new products and how someone 40, 50 or longer, years from now with be restoring them. To me, it would show how solid the company is and how it's product has endured for sometimes up to a century.