Thread: Loose Knobs

Loose Knobs

Is there a fix for the situation where the knob turns but the threaded shaft doesn't? The knob actually spins on the threaded portion.
    Ken Lewellyn

The metal joint between the knob and threaded stud has given out. I don't know if squeezing some JB Weld into the joint would help, or if you would just need to replace the knob.

Good idea! I'll try it.
    Ken Lewellyn

I know this thread is old, but was never fully answered if this did work with the jb weld. I have 2 on my chest that have done this, will most likely just replace them, but hate breaking things that are just a tad bit worn and need some attention.

I have found two types of failures that can cause this problem: one is that the screw rotates freely inside the knob, and the other is when the cap on the knob rotates freely around the body of the knob. I used to use solder, but it made a mess, so I have had pretty good success with Super Glue. I mount the knob, screw up, in a small vice and let the super glue wick into the offending location. It may take several applications, but eventually, it is solid enough to allow it to be screwed back in.

I've never tried JB Weld in this application, but my first impression is that it is too thick and won't flow into the joint as freely as Super Glue. It could also leave a gloppy mess.

Of course, that assumes you can get it out in the first place! Sometimes, steady outward pressure, coupled with rotation will do the trick. I have even wedged a thin putty knife blade under the knob to provide extra pressure. If all else fails, I crush it with Channel Locks and turn it out. Then I replace the bugger!

Thanks Terry, yes mine are rotating around the shaft, screw in the wood seems quite snug. I may be able to get them off with the pull and twist and try the superglue trick. If all else fails then I will just crush it to get them off and order replacements.

My first chest so trying not to destroy anything if I don't have to