Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: New aquisition Gerstner 41A...

  1. #16
    Any chance I’ll be able to find new spring inserts for the hasps on mine? They’re “Eagle lock co.” hasp fasteners, so not sure if the ones Gerstner sells will work.

    Thank you, as always...I appreciate your time...

  2. #17
    The Gerstner catches were made by Eagle also. They will work on yours.

  3. #18
    Thank you again...will order them ASAP.

    I received my keys from the kind folks at Gerstner and they work great! Can’t wait to get the new felt installed.

    I cleaned up much of the rust with some fine grade Scotchbrite. Next, I will probably replace the leather handle thanks to your great info on your website. I’ve been hand stitching leather for many years now, so hopefully my skills there will help. I have some wonderful Horween Chestnut Dublin leather that should look great on it.

    Many thanks for your help as always...

  4. #19
    That is kick ass nice!

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Den052 View Post
    That is kick ass nice!
    Thanks! Can’t wait to begin cleaning it up...I’ve got an order waiting for me at Lowe’s with Murphy’s oil soap and 0000 Scotchbrite tomorrow.

    Quick question for Terry — I watched your felt install video (thank you for sharing those, btw...very helpful...) I noticed that some glue got on the inside walls of the drawers...does the glue dry clear so that you don’t have to worry about that happening? I understand that when you do the top till and kid, you said you put the felt around the vertical surfaces first in there so you don’t get glue on the horizontal felt pieces...that made sense. I guess I’m worried about how careful I need to be in the individual drawers. I was thinking I should mask the sides to keep glue off of them...should I not be worried about that?

  6. #21
    I try to be careful not to slop glue on the inside drawer sides, but sometimes, it happens. The glue dries clear, so it's not much of an issue. It's also easily cleaned up with a rag and hot water after the fact.

    I have modified my method of doing the top till a bit. I brush the glue on the bottom of the till or the inside of the top first, then apply it to the sides. I quickly put in the large piece of ready-cut felt and then apply the strips for the sides while the glue is still tacky. I have to work fast to do this, but I can always reactivated the glue in spots that don't stick by sliding a brush full of glue in between the trip and the side.

    With the volume of boxes I do, I can't see myself masking the insides of the drawers.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    I have modified my method of doing the top till a bit. I brush the glue on the bottom of the till or the inside of the top first, then apply it to the sides. I quickly put in the large piece of ready-cut felt and then apply the strips for the sides while the glue is still tacky. I have to work fast to do this, but I can always reactivated the glue in spots that don't stick by sliding a brush full of glue in between the trip and the side.

    With the volume of boxes I do, I can't see myself masking the insides of the drawers.
    Oh yes, if I had many to do, I don't think I'd be masking them all either...that takes quite a bit of time...

    Thank you again for this advice...I will try to do the lid and top till that way too.

    Here is a sort of before and after pic of a couple of the fasteners from my chest...just scotchbrite, polishing / finishing cloths, and elbow grease. Will apply Renaissance Wax once I get the luster where I want it.

    hasps.jpg

  8. #23

  9. #24
    Looks great! Welcome to the world of sore hands....

  10. #25
    I guess it’s just that it’s so rewarding to take a chest in pretty mediocre shape like this one...and to put in a little work and see the transformation. For me, just polishing the hardware and cleaning the wood has made a great improvement. I should be able to install the new felt this week and it will pretty much be ready to use.

  11. #26
    Like you, I find it very satisfying to see the transformation of a dirty, sweaty old thing to a bright and shiny version of the same. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Along the way, the process has soothed the savage beast, provided an outlet for my creativity, and has kept me out of my wife's hair. All bonuses to ending up with a great piece of history.

    https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/5540

  12. #27

  13. #28
    Transformed_IMG_3187.JPGTransformed_IMG_2969.JPGTransformed_IMG_2979.JPG

    I like it, but the real purists in the crowd might not. The original was green felt. Funny how you got all hung up on wool felt vs acrylic felt, yet go with an off the wall color. I say, whatever floats your boat. I've done blue, red, purple, lime green, black, etc. All have been received well when it comes to putting cash on the table.

  14. #29
    I wouldn’t call it “hung up” exactly...I was wanting wool felt because I figured that’s what they used in chests as old as mine...not for aesthetics (like color), but from a rust-preventative standpoint. I’ve read in several places that the lanolin in pure natural wool helps with that....whereas some synthetic blends (and the dyes used in them) can actually accelerate corrosion.

    I think other colors look nice in these old chests. It’s sort of like custom cars though...if you pick a unique color, it takes a while to find the matching unique buyer. I’m redoing these for myself and I don’t want the items I put into it to rust. That’s all.
    Last edited by 25b; 06-27-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •