Thread: B52 - No, not the BUF or the Irish Band

B52 - No, not the BUF or the Irish Band

Terry asked so here goes...

My sleuthing has uncovered that SPI is Swiss Precision Instruments (think precision measuring tools) a part of Penn Tool, Inc. Penn Tool has in their current online catalog, what appears to be a Gerstner chest in Golden Oak or Walnut. This front panel has a serial numbered tag for Tri-State Instrument Service in Ft. Wayne, IN. I can only surmise that Tri-State purchased from Penn Tool and got one or more special purchase B52s...

The drawers are 6-3/4" deep, but otherwise normal. The drawer fronts are all solid wood stained to match the ply veneer. I'm guessing the drawer fronts are the same wood as the rest of the carcase, just stained. I think that makes the solid wood - Basswood?

This is cleaned. Based on the metal shavings and metal dust, I'd bet the chest lived in an inspection area in a metal fab shop that has among other operations surface grinding.

Scott, can you comment?

V/R,

Mark

Attachment 6012Attachment 6013Attachment 6014Attachment 6015Attachment 6017Attachment 6018Attachment 6019Attachment 6020Attachment 6021Front Panel.jpgLeft Quarter.jpgRight Rear Quarter.jpgRight.jpg
    Mark Domzalski
    Retired Los Alamos Nuclear Weaponeer
    Placitas, NM

Mark Domzalski
    Placitas, NM

Very interesting!! This is definitely one for Scott. Email him directly if he doesn't respond to your post. Scott@gerstnerusa.com

Confirmed by Scott Campbell: B52 Baltic Birch plywood (B52) carcase with Poplar solid wood (Drawer fronts, & front panel). I can confirm, through some cosmetic repair, that the stain is Golden Oak.

Scott offered that when manufactured, these boxes were a shot into a better price point. I see no difference in the hardware, only the material and shallower drawer depth (hence, less felt).

If they made some small portion of the overall builds for a short (couple/few years) time frame, I'm betting, combined with never seeing one for sale before, there aren't a lot hanging around...
    Mark Domzalski
    Placitas, NM