Thread: 042 Apprentices Chest Front Lid Removal

042 Apprentices Chest Front Lid Removal

Hey Folks,

I'm sure it's not as difficult as I am making it but... I'd like to remove the front lid. I can see how the pin enters the side of the box. I think I understand how the hardware works although I can't help but think there should be a spring at the base of each pin inside of the lid. As there doesn't seem to be, and I'd like to not 'force' the lid out of its groove, does anyone have any simple tips/tricks to remove the lid without damage?

And while I'm at it, an 'easy' way to remove split rivets w/o damaging the wood? I've heard of drilling and punching through, sounds like it would work. The alternative of digging out the 'split' part seems to cause more of a divot than I would like.

Thanks in advance,
    Trevor

Trevor,

The front panel is removed by first removing the bottom three drawers, and then keeping one of the pins in the "panel tilt up" position, slide the other pin back in the slide until you can lift it clear of the track and work that side up and out. They are sometimes quite tight. If you think one way seems too tight, try reversing sides. Sometimes the pins are more forgiving opposite of your first try.

Rivets are a "depends"... If they are worth saving, i.e., dome head and polishable, a small stout screwdriver can be used to pry up both tangs and then using needle nose or other pliers slowly squeeze the tangs together and then drift the rivet out. If they are flat head rivets, they are readily available and its easier to center punch the rivet head using a 9/64 bit drill the rivet until the outside spins with the drill or until you're sure your through the head. Using a small drift punch, tap the rivet through.

All of the digging you might do in the back, is covered by felt. Usually not much damage is done in the prying stage unless the wood is unusually soft or otherwise damaged.

Terry Rushworth has a post on domed rivets that I posted to. You can see the new rivets set in comparison with a vintage rivet and the condition of the wood after all of the work. I can assure you it doesn't show after re-felting.

V/R,

Mark Domzalski
    Mark Domzalski
    Retired Los Alamos Nuclear Weaponeer
    Placitas, NM

Trevor,

I have a rivet removal procedure detailed on my web site, https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/, just the way I do it, nothing else. And yes, I am having the domed rivets made. And the name is Rushbrook, not Rushworth.

Mark has fiel tested the rivets and they seem suitable for our restorations.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Trevor,

I have a rivet removal procedure detailed on my web site, https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/, just the way I do it, nothing else. And yes, I am having the domed rivets made. And the name is Rushbrook, not Rushworth.

Mark has fiel tested the rivets and they seem suitable for our restorations.
    Terry,
    Thanks for the tutorial. I can see my way to removing the rivets your way and did one like that before I thought to ask/look for a better, more elegant way. Seems sometimes you just have to accept a little divot to get to the pin (pun intended).

On another note, my hat is off to you for sharing your experience with all of us with your online reference. It's much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Thanks Mark. I'll give the pin technique a try tomorrow. I just didn't want to force something if there was a simpler, smoother way to accomplish the removal.

Trevor