Thread: Starrett Chest

Starrett Chest

This is my mostly original chest I bought in '85 while in high school. The original lock lock was damaged and replaced. Other than a short stint at work it's mostly been in my home workshop.
    I'm curious as to the model; all drawer backs have 320 written in pencil. The top six drawers are labeled 320-1,2,3... While the smaller of the two bottom has just 320. The big drawer has 320-M for mahogany I've always assumed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

320M is a manufacturing sequence number. It has little relationship to anything else except to keep the components of each box together. The "M" is not for mahogany. All the chests the Gerstner Company made to Starrett specs were mahogany, with that drawer configuration, red felt, and the mirror squared instead of diamond oriented.

Yours is a beautiful chest, you should be proud of such a fine example. It just needs a nickel plated lock instead of brass to be original.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly...herchests/2228
    Last edited by user459; 04-18-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Many times I've thought about replacing the lock, but a new one from Gerstner would be too new looking and there is damage to the wood from when the original was damaged that would have to be addressed. I'm at least glad that when I replaced it I used a somewhat matching lock instead of a hasp or something!
    I got the chest from a high school drafting teacher for thirty dollars! He got it, locked, when his uncle passed and broke the lock.

What a beautiful chest.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

Thanks John!
    After 30+ years in the basement workshop I've decided to refresh it and bring it upstairs and give it new life as a valet of sorts.