Thread: Bring Back Model 42 Chest?

Bring Back Model 42 Chest?

Any chance Gerstner might bring back the model 42 chest? I believe it was a little taller than the current smaller box offerings and afforded some additional drawers without taking up so much bench space. Just curious.

Would you like to pay the price if they did? There are plenty of them out there for a quarter to a third of what Gerstner would have to charge. I have a beauty of a survivor sitting in my shop. A little work and it will be better than new!

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/5442

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Would you like to pay the price if they did? There are plenty of them out there for a quarter to a third of what Gerstner would have to charge. I have a beauty of a survivor sitting in my shop. A little work and it will be better than new!

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/5442
    I know the new chests are very expensive but they are kind of an heirloom which helps justify the expense and if you catch them on sale it often takes the sting out of the price. Plus, if we all simply bought the used ones, the company wouldn't be in business very much longer and that's not a happy thought.

If we did a special run of the Style 42 Chests, could the chest use plywood drawer bottoms and a wood handbook drawer, like the Style 2610, or would you expect it to have the metal drawer bottoms and metal handbook drawer?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    If we did a special run of the Style 42 Chests, could the chest use plywood drawer bottoms and a wood handbook drawer, like the Style 2610, or would you expect it to have the metal drawer bottoms and metal handbook drawer?
    I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this but I don't see an issue with the plywood bottom drawers provided they hold up over time. And, the wood handbook drawer is a non-issue to me as well. On the topic of the handbook drawer, I'm not a machinist (I'm a jack-of-all trade hobbyist) so I don't really have a need to store a handbook. To best utilize the space I thought about creating a standing punch, brush, hex key or precision screwdriver holder that fit into the existing handbook drawer. Since you can remove the handbook drawer from the chest, you could select your tool from the standing holder, then simply slide the whole assembly back into the box when done. From the front it would look just like the usual handbook drawer but would be more useful for my purposes. And, I guess if you ever wanted to revert back to storing a handbook you could just remove the custom tool holder.

Some purists might argue with using the old model number on a new chest (that has different features than the original) so maybe you get around that by calling the new version model 2042 or something. I assume the question on build material comes from keeping production costs down which would subsequently keep retail prices down as well. For this proposed box, just having handles on the side and not on the top would help with that. I don't see much point in having a handle on the top anyway since side handles are sufficient for as few times as I would move the box.

The idea of having a box that is slightly taller than it is wide appeals because you still get drawer space but don't take up so much desk space. Risers technically accomplish this but then you're basically buying a whole other box and the cost factor comes into play again (and you have another set of keys to keep track of) One other thing to keep in mind is the height of the front cover. If it's too tall, when it's slid under the drawers it sticks out too far and what you save in width you give up in depth because the front cover sticks out too far. I have a ******* model 52611 and this chest suffers from this. The chest is only 9" deep but when you slide the front panel in, it still sticks out 4-5" or more which wastes desk space.

While my metal toolboxes do function, they lack the personality, sound and feel of a wooden toolbox so one day I'm going to own one. Thanks for listening to my feedback and please keep producing a great product.

@Woodbox

Thanks for the feedback. I will bring up the idea of a limited run of the Style 42 in our next Club Newsletter, which I am quite behind on completing. We will see what the Club Members think of the idea.