Thread: 'The' Guide updated earlier this month

'The' Guide updated earlier this month

‘The’ Guide for wood machinist tool chests, pre-1960, was updated this month and now includes separate pages of pictures and info for all of these manufacturers –
    Gerstner, Pilliod, Union, Wedell & Boers, Hammacher Schlemmer, National Cabinet, Lufkin, C.E. Jennings, Mid-West Mfg., Baker-Case, Schartow Iron Prod’s. (SIPCO), National Tool & Chest (Star), George Scherr and L.S. Starrett. https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...chinistchests/
    Enjoy and have a good one……Ted

Ted,

Thanks! The Guide is a terrific resource that I use constantly. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Thanks for your guide!

Just when I was getting bored with building these chests I see the"Double-lock drawer face joint".
    I have to build some, looks like fun!
    No glue - completely mechanical.
    Last edited by Lanso; 11-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.

This joint takes a little set up time but it seems I can get a nice snug fit with good repeatability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was working on a 3 drawer Bliss but now in a holding pattern waiting for the correct brass screws that neither of the big stores carry. I decided to start on a 60's era model O52 journeyman. What a mess. The water damaged bottom was covered with some wood screwed on. Both upper and lower side joints were broken from front to back on the box itself. Square drive 3/4 inch screws secured the hasps and lock and because of the wrong length, you could see where the tips were cut off once they poked through. The top 4 corner protectors were secured with tacks. 4 Drawers had to be repaired. Almost all of the drawer pulls had been glued in. There was an attempt to reline the drawers but they used contact cement and that fuzzy materiel that they made sweat shirts out of. One of the side handles is actually broken. How do you break a side handle? I can say that the seller had very good vision (he could see me coming a mile away) and was somewhat frugal with the description of the chest. But,, the good news is that it has a working key. I know, we all have our turn when it comes to getting one of these. I just had to vent.
    Last edited by Bill; 11-28-2017 at 09:49 PM.