Thread: My #31 copies

Those are beautiful! Who are the lucky recipients? It's OK if you're the recipient, too!

Chris

Thanks for the compliment.
    They will stay in my shop and be used for tools. I took one home to show my wife and she wanted it for jewelry,
    I reminded her that these are "machinists" boxes.

Simply amazing stuff.

Where did you get the locks? I ask because I just got a model 22 which is missing the front plate and I hope to make a new one but cannot find the lock anywhere.

Style 22?

bc,

Style 22 is an 11 drawer dentist case.

Is this what you have?:

Cat Style 22.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of lock is on that model. Can you post pictures? Perhaps on a new thread?

Terry

The locks I used came from Hinge Vintage Hardware - Orlando, FL
    They will not fit an original #31 door without modification but if you're building a new door they are the closest I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    bc,

I'm not sure what kind of lock is on that model. Can you post pictures? Perhaps on a new thread?

Terry
    Didn't he say he did not have the lock?

When you say "front plate" are you referring to the door or panel that closes the tool box?

I'd like to see pictures of where the lock used to be, I certainly didn't expect to see pictures of a lock that isn't there. I'm not an idiot! I wanted to establish what he was calling a "model 22".

Lanso, I would also like to see detail of the locks you use. I could not find them on their web site.

Terry,
    I'm out of town now, be back in my shop Wednesday and will get you more info then.

Lanso & Sons Fine Wood Chests and Cases Established 2017

I only have one son but I guess that's one more than H. had

The two locks I've used from Hinge Vintage Hardware are #10219 and #7937-the cylinder is offset and a little short on the latter.

Hey Lanso, I'm not sure why I'm not getting notifications of your responses, so sorry for the long delay.

The box is what seems to be the type shown on the 9 drawer page. It is itemized model 22 there. Interesting that there was another with the same number.
    This one is apparently the first model with a dedicated space for a book (or a drill block). No drawer, just a hole for the book. I haven't seen one anywhere here and thought it was worth saving.

The case (no top till means case not chest, right?) is missing the front cover, which locks to the carcass. It was originally a leatherette box, so I bought it figuring I could make a cover plate easily enough, cover it with new leatherette and put a lock on it. However there don't seem to be any photos of the front cover anywhere. I saw your locks and they look just like what I suppose the one I want should.
    (Wow some tortured syntax there...)

Anywho, I like your locks, so I might get one for my little project. Thanks for your input. I will post a photo of the box later today.