Thread: This one has me baffled

This one has me baffled

I saw this one andgot confused. The seller says itís not a Gerstner, but it shares manyGerstner characteristics. What confuses me is the single, off-centerlocking pin and the fact that the bottom drawer is beaded on both top andbottom. There ae no other marks to be found, so far, except for some strange engravings on the catches. It's home with me now and I've posted pictures and descriptions here:

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/otherchests

Any idea who made it and when?

IMG_0424.jpgIMG_0423.jpgUnk-1.jpgUnk-3.jpg

No idea here. The only chest I've seen with a single lock pin is a National, but the pin is centered and they do not have double beading on the drawers. The engravings on the catches look like something out of England.

Riveted drawer knobs

Another anomaly that caught my attention is the riveted drawer knobs. They consist of a large headed split rivet which passes through a steel eyelet, then a backing plate, then the drawer front. The legs of the split river are peened over on the back side of the drawer front. I have only seen this arrangement on Star, Sipco, and Scherr chests in the past, though with much small rivets showing on the back side.

IMG_0626.jpgIMG_0627.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0630.jpgIMG_0631.jpg

Boy, you've got me stumped too........Ted

Looks more like English brown oak than American quarter sawn. Just a thought..