Thread: Model W82

Model W82

I finished the W82 I got in Yorba Linda off a CL listing my wife found. The seller called the next day and decided to sell me his Starrett as well. What a monster this chest was. Removed all of the hardware, treated for mild rust and then polished. Stripped, sanded and stained with Minwax dark walnut oil stain. Had to repair several drawers and had to re-glue the left side bottom back in to position. Finished with 3 coats of spar with a sanding with 800 grit between first and second coat. Good day for felting because it rained almost all day. Oh, and it had the key for the interior lock and I obtained a key for the lid from Gerstner. As for the Starrett, I will be starting it next, right after I work on an old wood high chair for a honey do. Maybe I will start on the Starrett and do some work on the high chair while stuff is drying on the Starrett.

IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0265.jpg

Bill,

Glad to see you're still going strong. That walnut chest is a real beauty! I can't wait to see what you do with the Starrett. I have a soft spot for those.

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/3664
    Last edited by user459; 05-16-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Add link

Bill,

Great restoration. I get a lot of inspiration from all of you who post on the forum.

Side lined again. This time it wasn't my fault. I had a bone spur in the joint so the Dr. opened it up and removed it. 14 stitches to close. Looks like the Starrett is going to have to wait for a while.

IMG_0271.jpg

Did you build the drawers in your photo?

No on building the drawers. They belong to a walnut model 52 that's been sitting on the sidelines for a while. I decided to work on it while things are drying on the Starrett. Now the three if us are sidelined. Me and the two chests.

They looked nice freshly milled parts with sharp edges.

They have just had their second sanding (120 Grit) inside and out. When this finger settles down, I will do the third and final sanding (220 Grit). I will tape off the sides next to the front of the drawer and apply stain to the front of the drawer and inside the front of the drawer. I will remove the tape and apply it's first coat of spar on the whole drawer. Once dry, I will lightly sand the whole drawer with 600 grit. Tack off and apply a second coat of spar. If it looks good, no more spar, but if it doesn't look good, I sand again and apply a third coat. After they dry, I then install the new felt. As you can see, I
    sand not only the front, I do the sides and rear both inside and out. The finish is applied to all 4 sides, inside and out.

O42-2.jpg

I have to give you and others on this site a lot of credit for the time and patience given to the finishing of these boxes.

Bill,

You are such a perfectionist! I think we are twins. Let me know if you get tired of having that Starrett hang around. It could find a good home in Florida!

That is just beautiful.

That is a beautiful 82 chest. I use a GO82 everyday and love it. I bought it from a retired maintenance man who bought it in 1982 when he started, he never used it.

The walnut really looks nice. Your thought and execution on the 82 is superb. You made an already beautiful wood even more spectacular.

Something about walnut that triggers many boyhood memories of placing black walnuts in the back cinder alley and driving over them with the '49 Studebaker to start the removal of the hulls. Fingers would be stained for a few days. Mom's homemade fudge with black walnuts found in the woods (watch out for bits of shells when eating) was a sweet delight. Beautiful restoration - congratulations...