Thread: I've got a mystery

I've got a mystery

On the inside of the lid of my 41C, there was a thumbtack off to the right of the mirror. Here's a picture of it.

p2289705965-2.jpg

This is where it was located. It's at about the 4 O'clock point from the mirror.

p2286482052-2.jpg

Is this something that's part of the toolbox or was it probably just something someone stuck inside the lid? Strangest thumbtack I've ever seen in my life.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

www.chrischristenberry.com

Most likely that is where he pinned his Job Sheet, or a photo of his wife/girlfriend and such. Some manufacturers even installed a flat spring steel slip on the underside of the top lid for the purpose of keeping the Job Sheet or notes for the Job.

By golly, Bill I think your idea of the Job Sheet thumbtack was probably right on! I went out to the shop and looked closely at the lid (now that it's sans felt) and it looks as if there are about 10 thumbtack holes in it. I guess the mystery is solved. I was hoping it was some rare thumbtack that Gerstner put in their boxes. I've sure never seen anything like it and a search on the Internet turned up nothing like it.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris

No, the thumbtack wasn't from the Gerstner factory. It looks like a pretty neat thumbtack.

Indeed, it is. (guess you've read that before, huh Scott?) I've searched the Internet and can't seem to find anything about this unique thumbtack. One's thumbnail and fingernail fit nicely in the slots and make it very easy to remove..........even from plywood.
    Chris

The tack reminds me of the type of tacks my Grandmother used when she reupholstered furniture to bring in some extra cash. They were exposed and they had designs on the heads for decoration.

You mean like these, Bill?

upholsterytacks.jpg
    Chris

Insomnia again, Bill?

Chris

Yep. It's that dang Parkinson med's. Insomnia is just one of about 6 other side affects. I am putting the finishing touches on an O62. My wife came in to the garage were keys in hand and said, Guess what I found on CL? We drove to Yorba Linda and bought a model W82. Pretty good shape. The guy worked as a machinist for about a year, and is now doing something different. We talked about Gerstners' and the restoration I do. We even talked about the Owner's Club and the forum. He then said that he had a couple of other chests that he had not made a decision on them yet. I asked him to give me the first chance if he puts them up for sale. He then goes on the describe one, his favorite, that he bought used from some guy. Ever heard of a Starett? I started stammering and again ask for 1 call, especially for the Starett. The very next day, my wife informed me that she had just talked to the Yorba Linda guy and he said that if I wanted the Starett, and informed me of the price. I agreed and off to Yorba Linda again. I am now the proud owner of a mahogany Starett. I don't know which one I start on next.

Wow, talk about a Bonanza! You hit the jackpot, Bill.
    Chris

You also hit the jackpot for having a wife that participates like she does. We appreciate her too.....Ted

I agree, Ted. My wife doesn't participate (or should I say "tolerate") any of my interests except my photography........both of us being artists. Most any interest I have is "a waste of time or too expensive" in her mind.
    Chris