Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front lid for 31 case

Front lid for 31 case

I mentioned in another thread that I was planning to build a front lid.
    Itís now glued and will sand it tomorrow. I will then be faced with a more challenging task:
    matching the old finish (color) and finding a lock that looks appropriate.

Any advise will be appreciated.

This front lid was was easy to build.
    I played with some stains today and feel much more confident that I can get very close to matching the case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finding stains that match closely isn't that difficult.....it's how old wood and finishes keep their patina. Matching that is a tough task.

Yes!
    The reddish color was easy but the dark/black streaks from a life in a machine shop seems to be more difficult.

Mist with black spray paint, then wipe over it with acetone on a rag.

I like that idea, I'll practice on some scrap first thing Monday.
    Thanks

I looked closely at your new front cover and have decided that your are destined to recreate your own masterpiece Gerstner chest. Call it a Lansoster. You obviously have the skill and I would love to see somebody do that. It may take a while, but can you imagine the results? What a life you would have......living in Long Beach, tanned, the sunsets, and a wonderful piece of art.

Very kind words, thank you - and yes that would be fun.
    Maybe someday when I finish all the necessary maintenance to a house.

The list for the house never ends....ever.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Mist with black spray paint, then wipe over it with acetone on a rag.
    I played a little with black paint as you suggested and it looks like I can get the look I need.
    Thanks for the tip.

I have to put this project away for a while and get back to more pressing projects - we'll see how long that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Den052 View Post
    I looked closely at your new front cover and have decided that your are destined to recreate your own masterpiece Gerstner chest. Call it a Lansoster. You obviously have the skill and I would love to see somebody do that. It may take a while, but can you imagine the results? What a life you would have......living in Long Beach, tanned, the sunsets, and a wonderful piece of art.
    OK Den 052, You started it.

After a little house work I decided to make a style O31 (my favorite style) and to complicate the project I added a 20Ē Walnut, here is what I have so far.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice dovetails on that carcass. Handcut? I think dovetails are the only way to put together a carcass.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

www.chrischristenberry.com

Thanks, I thought someone would ask that but not hand cut even though I have cut them by hand years ago. I have a jig that doesn't get much use so I thought I'd get it out and put it to work.

Okay, just thought I'd ask. Hand cut or not, dovetails are the strongest corner joint in woodworking. I've never owned a jig, so I cut all my dovetails by hand. I actually enjoy cutting through dovetails, but half-blind dovetails drive me absolutely bonkers!!!! I hate them!
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

www.chrischristenberry.com

The half-blind I see on your website sure look good!