Thread: Horrible show!

Horrible show!

I do quite a few shows where I set up, display and sell my completed restorations. Mostly to placate my wife who says, "When are you going to sell some of those tool boxes?" If I had my way, I'd keep them all. I don't like to sell these boxes on Ebay. Ebay takes a cut, then PayPal takes a cut, then I have to box them up and pray that USPS, UPS, or FedEx doesn't wreck them. I'd sooner sell them at a show and watch as the new owner hauls it away.

Last weekend, I did a two day show in Elkton, FL, just outside St Augustine. They recruited me after seeing my set up at the last show I did in Cocoa Village. They promised a "Mega" show with 20,000 attendees and billed it as The Florida Outdoor Show and Seafood Festival. It was nothing of the sort. No traffic and no seafood. I had more vendors come to my booth than actual customers. Those that did stop by looked like they were coming to a hillbilly hoedown! They had located us out in the back 40 near the highway. Finally, on Sunday, they moved us closer to the front, but still no action.

IMG_9503.jpgIMG_9502.jpgIMG_9499.jpgIMG_9508.jpg

Between entry fees, trailer rental, hotel room, and expenses, I easily sunk $500.00 into a totally unprofitable venture. I'll have to try to make it up at the next show in Historic Cocoa Village on March 4th and 5th.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and rant.
    Last edited by user459; 02-15-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Keep the faith Terry. Don't let them bring you down.

Always stinks to feel like you have wasted time and money. Better luck next time.

eBay looks a little better after a show like that

Great display Terry...It is like this in the watch business these days too.
    JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

Terry

Great looking display. I feel your pain, I have been talked into displaying at some shows that felt and went the same way.