Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Style 43 Pattern Maker Twins

Style 43 Pattern Maker Twins

Today I went to look at a 70's walnut chest. It was way too modified and messed up to buy....but low and behold, the guy who was selling it had a beautiful black leatherette 44 Pattern Maker. I asked if he would sell that instead...and now I have fraternal twins. The new leatherette version is in absolutely superb condition although it has a replacement handle. The logo is different from my oak version. Below I have a picture of the twins and of both logos. What do you experts think is the date of the new leatherette box?

Thanks

JohnCote

JohnCote
    Hoosier Pocket Watch Collector
    Collector/Lover/User of Gerstner Cabs to Store Watches and Parts

Hey John,
    Those are beautiful chests. I’d say that your oak #44 was made in 1952 to early 60’s. I don’t know when Gerstner stopped using the rectangular no # name plate because I stopped my researching at 1959. This would be a good question for Scott to chime in on. A nice to know number.
    As for the leatherette #44 I’m not sure at all. The nameplate on it may be a replacement that Gerstner still sells, without style numbers, and somebody put the numbers 43 (which should have been 44) on it by hand. The #43 is a 26” wide chest. You mentioned it also has a replacement handle, which brings up the question of an excellent restoration job? You’ll have to be the judge on this one.
    Hope this can help…….Ted

Ted,

First I have to apologize to everyone. I said 44 twins and I meant 43. These are Style 43 not 44. My mistake.

You are so right about the leatherette decal. It definitely has a hand scribed 43 on it. It could well be a replacement. The drawer fronts on it are mahogany not oak. The leatherette has the Gerstner with the classic pressed pattern and it is not like new/without wear, although it is pretty nice. I am going to say that it is a very good older restoration. That bums me out a little but...it is still a nice box.
    JohnCote

John

The following is based upon some notes I found in with Jack's production aging information, but I haven't run across anything to verify the information myself.

In your pictures, I am going to refer to the label on the Mahogany Drawer as the "4-Line" label and the label on the Oak Drawer as the "3-Line" label. Jack's notes show that the "3-Line label was used up to 1952, but I he did not have a start date. His notes go on to say that the "4-Line" label started in 1953.

For now, we can start with the dates above, unless I run across new information.

One thing to keep in mind is that we did/do sell replacement parts. I wouldn't use the label as the only factor to determine the production period of a chest, you need to look at all of the parts of the chest (hardware and joinery) and make sure they are in line with the period.

John,
    Don't be apologetic about screwing up on the style number, that just qualifies you to be a member of our club.
    I'd be interested in knowing if your oak #43 has a front panel with the rectangular radius relief in the outside or just a full recessed flat area......Ted

John,
    The above posting got "walked-on" by a new posting shortly after the above was posted. This reply will get it back up in the listing so you may notice it again.......Ted

Ted,

The front of the oak box has the older sort of chamfered panel. Here is a photo. I bought this box in an antique store in a little town in East central Wisconsin. They had two of them. The second one was not in great shape compared to this one. I love the look of the quarter sawn oak in this box.

JohnCote

John,

Your chest is stunning!

John

Great looking chest, I love the quarter-sawn grain.

There should be a stamp on the inside bottom of the chest, can you post a picture of it? I want to see if the stamp matches the notes I have from Jack about the drawer label.

Scott,

Sorry for the delay...I have been out of town. Here is the stamp from the oak chest. I will take a picture of the stamp from the leatherette chest when I get back.

JohnCote

John,
    I have reviewed my picture archives for Gerstner. I have come to this historical research conclusion, I’m not sure if Scott will agree –
    On your leatherette #43 – I have found that Gerstner used the same nameplate, as on yours, on styles that didn’t have high volume sales after 1953. It may not have been financially economical to manufacture nameplates with their style numbers on them for lower volume sales. I have pic’s of this example going beyond 1960. So, instead, they used the ‘4-line’nameplate without the fourth line style number (which is the same as the replacementnameplate that Gerstner still offers). Therefore, your nameplate on the leatherette #43 may not be a replacement, but rather original, without the style number. A previous owner hand etched 43 on it.
    With this being said, your leatherette chest would be dated 1953 into the 60's.
    Now, for the #43 oak chest – The possible period dates per‘The’ Guide are 1929 and on. Because your chest has the Rec. no # (3 line)nameplate, per Scott, it has to be pre-1953. The features which would establish the earliest manufacturing date would be the lid-restraint hinges which would be on or after 1943 (I’m assuming your chest has these). The next item would be that yours does not have round, drawer knob, back-plates, that also puts it at 1943. My conclusion would be, based on Scott’s statement of 1952 as being the last date for the 3-line nameplate, 1943 – 1952 period dates for yours. I, personally, had thought that 1952 was a start date for the 3-line nameplate, rather than an end date, but perhaps I’m wrong…….Ted

Toolbox & John

I think I might have cause some confusion between the 3-Line and 4-Line drawer labels.

See the pictures below:
    3-Line Drawer Label.jpg 4-Line Drawer Label.jpg

The 3-Line Drawer Label is what Jack's notes referred to when he said it was used until 1952.

The 4-Line Drawer Label is what Jack's notes referred to when he said it was started in 1953.

Yes, we used the 4-Line Drawer Labels (without a Style # as shown above) on chests made during the use of this style label. We also used some of the 4-Line Drawer Labels, with the wrong wood code on some of the Mahogany Chests. I have seen several examples with the Style O42 or Style O52 on Mahogany 42's and Mahogany 52's. I haven't found any evidence that we ordered any of the 4-Line drawer labels with the M for Mahogany wood in the various styles.

Ted,

Thanks very much for your detailed and very well thought out response. I am in total agreement with your dissertation on the subject of the oak 43. It does have the lid restraint hinges and dose not have the round drawer knob back plates.

The more I look at the leatherette 43 the more I am convinced that the leatherette and the top handle may have been replaced but that the drawers have not been refinished and the nameplate might or might not have been replaced. I am leaning toward it being the nameplate which came on the box but...I almost don't care because...whether it is or isn't the box is not original. It is nice box anyway.

Scott,

I want you to know that the big reason I am a Gerstner collector is that I love great American companies. A great American company, in my mind, is one with heritage/identity/brand that has meant something to the owners/management over a long time. Companies which come to mind are Eastman Kodak, Hamilton, Watch Company, Martin Guitar....

You may remember this...I own a 70s or 80s style 62 in oak on a base. When I bought it, the keys to the base were gone. I called Gerstner in Dayton and talked to a nice guy who told me the process for getting a key. When he found out I lived in Indianapolis this nice guy said he was coming to indy to make a delivery in a couple of days and could just come to my house with the master keys. A couple of days later this nice guy called and said he would be at my house in a couple of minutes. He figured out which key I needed and I paid for a couple of keys. A couple of days later an envelope showed up in the mail with the keys.

That is more than customer service. That is honoring heritage and identity and brand. I loved my Gerstner chests before that but after that experience I knew I was collecting something from a great American company.

I think you might possibly remember this?

Best,
    JohnCote

John

Don't forget to post a picture of the stamp on the leatherette chest (if there is one) when you have time.

Here's the stamp Scott.

JohnCote