Thread: Please help identify this chest

Please help identify this chest

I just got this chest from an old tool guy who reportedly got it from an old timer he apprenticed for when he was in his teens. I can't find a picture like it anywhere on the web other than a very early Gerstner add from the early 1900's.
    It is a 7 drawer leatherette chest. 16" Wide, 12 1/2" Tall and 8 1/4 deep. All drawers have metal bottoms and purple felt. Round drawer pulls with diamond shaped backing plates, brass square lock with a slide button release stamped 04R1, 4 catches (2 front and 2 on the sides) stamped with Eagle Lock Co. Terryville Conn, USA, Fleur de Lis style hinges, all screws for the hardware is flat head (straight slot) type screws, all drawers have corresponding 29 written in pencil on the back of the drawers, no stamp in the bottom but appears to have something (maybe a name) penciled in the bottom of the cabinet.
    I think based on measurements and hardware that it is a 41 built around 1919 or 1920 but I am just not sure. I am going to send Scott a bunch of pictures but any help in identifying or aging this chest would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mac48383; 08-22-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added some verbiage

I believe it's a model 41 made in the mid-20's. The number 29 is probably the production control number assigned to the chest during its' construction. The number does not reflect the year made.

Thank you Bill. I have two other Gerstner's but this is my first leatherette. The lock, the Fluer de Lis hinges, the diamond backing plates, 4 catches, no mirror, and of course the purple felt had me a little confused.

No problem. Hit Terry (user459) up for his site and you can down-load a guide that "toolbox" was able to produce. You can also hit "toolbox" up and he will send it to you as well. I use to have it but my computer crashed and had to get a new hard-drive and some other computer fix it up stuff that I have no idea as to what they are or what they do. I just haven't gotten around to down loading it again my self. I do know that that chest you showed, is suppose to have a mirror, but minus the purple felt. I have the same one that I restored but the nickel had worn off in parts so I just polished the remaining nickel off revealing brass. I now have a new project. I went over my personal limit and bought a W52 that was actually in my town. I guess it comes out okay because of no shipping. The chest is a disaster. For some unk. reason, the owner lined all of the drawers with thick black duct tape. He even wrapped the edges of the chest with the same stuff as well. I've gone through one can of goo-off and about a half of can of acetone so far. What a mess.

Thank you Terry. That's great stuff. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Mac,

Here's the "Guide" Bill was talking about:

https://sites.google.com/site/thegui...chinistchests/
    Terry,

Thank you so much for all of the work you did on this site. My primary collection is old American pocket watches. I and many other old timers have done and published research like yours on this subject and I know how much time you have spent. You site is really valuable. The bad part about it is that the more info I get the more I want to buy old Gerstner chests. I told my self that the 5 I have would be the end but now I am not sure.

JohnCote

John,

I can't take credit for the "Guide" site. That's the product of a lot of research by Toolbox Ted. I just link to it when I can. My site does have some other charts that may be helpful.

I know what you mean about "more"! I'm up to about 40 now.

If you go onto my site, www.gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com, you'll find links to spreadsheets, pdf files and other web sites you may find useful.