Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Value of Model 072 in Walnut

  1. #1

    Value of Model 072 in Walnut

    I have this model but it seems rare. Does anyone have any information on it from a catalogue?

    Attached are photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Nice chest! But it's not very old and I don't think it's very rare, except for the fact that it's walnut.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by user459 View Post
    Nice chest! But it's not very old and I don't think it's very rare, except for the fact that it's walnut.
    Thanks, I haven't found information on it so it seemed like a model that would be hard to locate.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ballston Lake, N.Y.
    Posts
    161
    Nice looking chest. This thread might be of interest
    http://www.gerstnerforum.com/showthr...er-Tool-Chesst

    According to Scott the style 72 was made for less than 10 years. People look at the value thing a lot of different ways. The "functional" bunch might say" I'm a machinist and need a tool box to store my tools. A new O52 (2610) is close to $2000 so I'll pay $700 or whatever for a nice style 72".
    The collector bunch might say " It's not 95 years old so I'm not interested at all".
    Basically it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lanso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by DinosaurDave View Post
    Nice looking chest. This thread might be of interest
    http://www.gerstnerforum.com/showthr...er-Tool-Chesst

    According to Scott the style 72 was made for less than 10 years. People look at the value thing a lot of different ways. The "functional" bunch might say" I'm a machinist and need a tool box to store my tools. A new O52 (2610) is close to $2000 so I'll pay $700 or whatever for a nice style 72".
    The collector bunch might say " It's not 95 years old so I'm not interested at all".
    Basically it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
    I just stumbled on this post and had to laugh:
    "the functional bunch" v "collector bunch" So True! - "It's not 95 years old so I'm not interested at all" - that's funny!

  6. #6
    Most of us are willing and able to assist someone with questions about make of chest, approx. age, type of wood and so forth. We will also give suggestions on restoration, from just wiping it down to full blow take it apart and put it back together. However, most of us won't put values on chests. It is worth what someone will pay for it. We give suggestions like checking auction sites like Ebay, Etsy, Craigs list and a like to see what people are selling the chests for and what people are buying chests at.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ballston Lake, N.Y.
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    I just stumbled on this post and had to laugh:
    "the functional bunch" v "collector bunch" So True! - "It's not 95 years old so I'm not interested at all" - that's funny!
    I fall more into the functional bunch (although I have several Gerstners). As a retired toolmaker my Gerstners are not just a tool box but also a "statement" that I'm serious about the trade and take pride in my work and my tools for the trade. In short, a professional. I've worked in shops where having a my Gerstners would be out of place. In a modern production job shop, you'll find few if any wooden tool boxes. Where you will find them is tool rooms that do mainly "one of a kind" high precision work. These days (to me) bigger is better. I would have little interest in the smaller Gerstners if I were still working in the trade. The 26" wide boxes have room for a 24" scale, and a guy in the trade accumulates an enormous amount of stuff though the years.
    Dave

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lanso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    126
    Yes, I'm also in the functional camp and the 26" boxes were the first two i bought of course because of the 24"+ drawer widths but later I started sprinkling the little boxes around the shop for small tools used for a particular machine - little box by a little Hardinge etc.

  9. #9
    I like to be functional.....but in my disfunctional world, I purchase what I like at that moment because you never know what is going to be presented to you unexpectedly. Finding a 95 year old chest at incredible pricing and bringing it back to life is a high for me. Finding a like new or new in box Gerstner at incredible pricing is a high for me. Restoration and "The Great Hunt' are the two things that motivate me with this hobby of ours. The unexpected results are winning so many people who never knew Gerstner existed over to our hobby and giving away these things to friends and family ("giving away' is on hold because of the Vet bills for my puppy).

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •