Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring Leather Handles

Lucky me, I found a friend with a stitching tool. He says he thinks he even has black thread. If not, I'll buy some. (one less thing to fret over)
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

www.chrischristenberry.com

Chris,

I really can't give you a measurement on the leather. I just wrap it around and cut it big. Make sure you have enough to make it over the ends of the handle.

The bulk of my handle is still there to provide the shape...........but the ends are just raw rod. How do you thicken that...........with a cork maybe? I could drill a hole in a cork and the shape it to wrap leather around.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

I usually just build it up with wraps of paper tape. Be aware that any abnormalities will telegraph through the leather.

Hmmmmm. Having never done any leather work before, Terry, I was unaware of the telegraphing problem. Right now I've got the handle wrapped with regular masking tape. There are a few places where it's wrinkled, so I'll go back and look closely at it to see if they'll telegraph.
    Chris