Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hardware cleaning

I have some videos up on my web site that might be helpful:

https://gerstnertoolchest.shutterfly.com/pictures

Terry, I've been to your site many times. Very informative. However, I've a question about hardware cleaning.

As a target shooter, I'm all the time cleaning my brass cases. I use a tumbler with stainless steel pin and soapy water media. My brass comes out looking just like it did the day I bought it. Today I bought a gallon of Evaporust, thinking I'd do the same to my toolbox hardware and use the Evaporust instead of soapy water. The pins don't cause any wear, they just gently "ping" the surface shiny. I also have a Jewelers Ultrasonic cleaner.........about 5"x5" and 4" deep. I'm really leaning toward the tumbler. What say you?

I have a really crappy Harbor Freight tumbler. I bought the stainless steel shot, but I'm afraid to use it in my POS tumbler. I know other guys have had luck with the tumbler process and have taken advantage of guys that use them to polish brass. I still use the ultrasonic cleaner and EvapoRust and then buff and polish by hand. Old school, I guess. I think "Bill" has used the tumbler method and it worked for him.

Thanks. What I might do is to try one of the bottom corner protectors to see how it works. That way, if it causes damage I'll have only ruined one part.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

www.chrischristenberry.com

Well, I tumbled all of my hardware for 4 hours. Came out really looking nice. All the rust is gone and the surface appearance is even. Very happy. Will have to ponder on it a while as to whether or not to polish it.
    Chris

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Try just going over it with Simichrome metal polish.

Can't find any Semichrome. But I do have Flitz. I did my "pondering" last night and decided I'll polish all the hardware today. Do you put a protective coat of anything on it after polishing? Is that PYM II something one could coat hardware with to maintain the shine? I used to use clear lacquer on things like that, but sometimes it covered up the shine rather than protect it.
    Chris

I bought my bench top buffer from Eastwood. I also buy my polishing compounds and various buffing wheels from them as well. Bottom line is, they sell Simichrome. I also buy a clear gloss metal protector spray from them. They spray it on wheel rims after milling them down for protection. I use it after all of the hardware is polished. It doesn't last for ever, but long enough. Check them out on their web site.

Thanks, Bill, will do.
    Chris

Flitz should work, but I caution against using any protective coating. I only say that because I'm sick of stripping off coatings before I polish hardware. None of them work very well. I find it easier to polish them once in a while and put a coat of wax on them.
    Last edited by user459; 04-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks, Terry. I'll try that. I looked into the Plasti Wrap and it's a coating you can peel off later. I didn't think I'd like that.
    Chris